Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 09 prostar with ISX randomly shutting down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So last week my truck started to randomly shut down while driving or idling. It wont fire up for about 5min and when it does its slugish for 10-15 second. Right after it shuts off im getting electrical fault, low coolant and abs module fault on the display no codes logged other than that. I had a friend mail me a ecm from another prostar but that didnt fix it.(another friend had similar issue and the ecm was busted). Also i noticed the ignition relays from the passenger side box are getting very hot to touch. Batteries were changed last week, connections are good..i dont know. I asked the international dealer for a diagnostic but they were so dumb i got mad and i left. This truck is mandated
Bad ground? Seems to be a pretty common theme with a lot of trucks.
Wiggle around the fuses. I just had a crazy body module issue and wiggling those garbage fuses fixed it.
(02-07-2017 )fargonaz Wrote: [ -> ]Bad ground? Seems to be a pretty common theme with a lot of trucks.
I checked that but i dont see why would that generate those coolant and abs faults. After engine shuts off i still got power in my dash and to crank it but it wont fire up. I feel its a ignition/fuel system electrical gremlin.
I had a similar issue with my ABS, Engine Brake and Trailer ABS idiot lights going nuts on the dash, 2008 ProStar... It was the compass control module. The compass, E, N, S, W... Bus system can be buggy as hell on these trucks. I replaced that module and the problem went away. The only reason I found this, was to take the truck to International and have them run their International diagnostics on the cab. Took two minutes to figure it out at that point.

I would take it somewhere that has the Diamond Logic software and run a diagnostics. More than likely it will immediately tell you what is bad.
When the engine won't start i would go and check main ecm power when it won't start. It may have thermal fuse that when.
(02-07-2017 )gearhead Wrote: [ -> ]When the engine won't start i would go and check main ecm power when it won't start. It may have thermal fuse that when.

Could be the ECM in line fuse just needs to be replaced.
(02-07-2017 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]I had a similar issue with my ABS, Engine Brake and Trailer ABS idiot lights going nuts on the dash, 2008 ProStar... It was the compass control module. The compass, E, N, S, W... Bus system can be buggy as hell on these trucks. I replaced that module and the problem went away. The only reason I found this, was to take the truck to International and have them run their International diagnostics on the cab. Took two minutes to figure it out at that point.

I would take it somewhere that has the Diamond Logic software and run a diagnostics. More than likely it will immediately tell you what is bad.

Thanks for your advice! I called every international and cummins dealer from Grand Island, NE to Reno and they're all packed, the best was a 3 day wait for a diagnostic wich is mental... i'm in Reno just got a load to Chicago and i'll have my guy take a look at it.
(02-07-2017 )gearhead Wrote: [ -> ]When the engine won't start i would go and check main ecm power when it won't start. It may have thermal fuse that when.
I already checked that and its a regular red fuse(dont know for sure the amps) and it looks new, not melted or burnt. I mean could the fuel shut off valve get hot somehow? That thing is electronic controlled right? Cause after the engine stops it wont fire up for 5-7 mins, its like something got hot and it cools down..
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's