Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: ISX smoking & sneezing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone I'm new here but find it very educational. Anyways I'm from Australia WA, were running a western star with a isx was at 620 when it was on triples up north now we do only logs & have derated him I'm sure to 515 or 500 still goes hard. Performance has been erratic lately some days it pulls like a trooper others well? Should of stayed in bed. It's started to make a prounced whistle I think from the air intakes at idle, it's also sneezing coughing or hiccuping at times right were u need it at say 1500 on a real hard pull it I'll sneeze & whammy it's all over you have to quickly find 1st & then into it. It's also smoking a lot especially when ur going easy on the pedal then u get into it & look in mirrors & holy cow I'm rolling coal so to speak. It's a 2007 EGR only and gross were at 83.5ton so not overly heavy fuel has sat steady on average 1.3km per litre regardless so when it was up north and grossing 170ton & set at 620 in 45degree heat it was getting same fuel????? Dunno how they figure that but it's true we've had zero fuel savings derating him, but saved squillons on tyres & who knows maybe even the engine will live longer. It's got 630.000km. I'm thinking EGR valve may be sticking? It's going to cummins here in bunbury today just to get computer hooked up any thoughts on directions I should go ourselves regarding this a lot of people are saying it's fuel cause it's black smoke but reading on this site I'm not 100%sure. Anyways sorry bout big story
Steel lines on left side of engine plugged. Mine did that. Cleaned them out with a price of wire.
If I had to guess I would say your EGR valve is bad or failing. That would account for the erratic power and the smoking on hard accel. Just my guess though. I would start with Rawze's full EGR tune-up, before going to the "Stealership" unless you have got exceptionally deep pockets! Its a great place to start and will probably uncover what the problem is.
Dan just wanted tto see if you were able to figure out what is the problem with your truck. I have a CM870 doing the same thing and was hoping you could shed a little light on the problem. I have already done EGR tune and it didn't change anything. Had to have the head replaced and seems like it is worse. Thinking it's time to demandate it
black smoke is a sign of too much EGr gas, and/or overfueling and/or not enough air usually. CM870 is notorious for the egr valve sticking and making too much egr gas. It is also known for the turbo not operating correctly as it is air operated. Any drop in supply air to it or clogged screen filter for the air supply and it will have less than normal pressure. The controller also likes to go bad and get out of calibration when they get old too.

I have never worked on a CM870 so maybe others can chime in that have seen those issues. i am just going by what others have said to me in the past.
Ok so what you are saying is that the VGT turbo is basicly junk on the CM870 and when I remove the mandate I need to change turbo also. How can I get in touch with unilever I believe he is in my home area and is that something he can handle cuz I would really like to be able to get better than 5mpg. This truck for what it does should be able to get way better than that.
(07-03-2017 )lonewolf Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so what you are saying is that the VGT turbo is basicly junk on the CM870 and when I remove the mandate I need to change turbo also. How can I get in touch with unilever I believe he is in my home area and is that something he can handle cuz I would really like to be able to get better than 5mpg. This truck for what it does should be able to get way better than that.

No, the turbo on a cm870 is not junk!!!
Just send unilever a private message, and he will take good care of your truck
(07-03-2017 )lonewolf Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so what you are saying is that the VGT turbo is basicly junk on the CM870 and when I remove the mandate I need to change turbo also. How can I get in touch with unilever I believe he is in my home area and is that something he can handle cuz I would really like to be able to get better than 5mpg. This truck for what it does should be able to get way better than that.

Let me get this straight -- your already complaining about fuel mileage and performance but you WANT TO REMOVE one of the main devices that improves fuel mileage for the engine simply because of someone failed to maintain it and care for it to keep it going strong?

If I were to have that kind of thinking then I could simply say my truck is basically junk because the tires keep wearing out? -- I KNOW, instead of maintaining the axle alignment , I will just run it on the rims!!!

WHAT A CROCK OF S%IT!!!

--- IT IS CALLED BEING PRO-ACTIVE AND MAINTAINING YOUR TRUCK!!! -- So it does not get to the point of constant problems.

======

(05-12-2017 )lonewolf Wrote: [ -> ]...
I have a 2006 kenworth w900l with a cummins isx cm870 in it. Set at 600hp 1850ft lbs torque. 18 speed trans, 3:36 rears, low pro 22.5 tires.

I never understood either WHY it is always those SQUARE NOSE BIG POWER TRUCK OWNERS WHO ARE GEARED TO GO A FUEL SUCKING 70-80+ MPH THAT DO NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN ABOUT PERFORMANCE AND LOW FUEL MILEAGE!!!--- OR AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS TREND? --- YOU OWN THAT SQUARE NOSE FUEL HOG AND WANT 70+ MPH SPEED AND POWER TO STROKE YOUR EGO BY --- THEN STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT S%$ITTY FUEL MILEAGE!> -- GO PLAY SUPER-TRUCKER SOMEWHERE ELSE! - Because you will get no sympathy from me. A big square nose truck geared for 70+ mph IS NOT GEARED OR DESIGNED IN ANY WAY towards any kind of decent fuel mileage and it does not even make any kind of decent business sense!. -- I got a better idea -- GET RID OF THAT DINOSAUR and find some quarry or logging off-road company to sell it to where it is better suited AND STOP LIVING IN THE 1970'S!.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I am out driving on the highways and I see one of those square-nose bastards with a dry-box or reefer, or flat-bed trailer behind it screaming past me at 70+ mph, I think to myself -- WHAT AN IDIOT!. -- I bet he complains about getting 4 mpg and wondering WHY he can't make any profit!. -- No place for a truck like that in todays industry running those speeds ESPECIALLY if they are running bottom of the barrel dry or reefer freight trying to compete with newer aero equipment!.

I have only ever seen VERY FEW applications where that huge square fuel-sucking ugly trucks have a purpose. it is where you are so over-weight and constant engine loads are so high that you need extra cooling and that big-arsse ugly front end to keep it cool. -- EVEN SO!!! - It HAS NO PURPOSE that warrants those tall 70+ mph gears and if your that heavy and overloaded YOU SHOULD BE GEARED 3.90's OR 4.11's -- NOT A RIDICULOUS 3.36's like only some speed-demon moron of a fool would do even in an aero truck, nonetheless in a non-aero like a W9!

I know my share of guys who own older trucks like the freight-liner classics, W9's, 379's or their newer equivalents who only drive 60 mph gracefully, and can only get 6.5 - 7 mpg when the wind is blowing right and everything perfectly tuned. That W900L is A TERRIBLE TRUCK for long haul highway use. I equate it to a dinosaur from the 1970's that have no use except in some kinds of special applications or off-road use. Other than that, they belong in a museum.

IT IS THOSE KINDS OF TRUCK AND TRUCK OWNERS WHO GO THOSE SPEEDS THAT ARE FUNDING THESE GUYS PRIVATE ISLANDS ...
[attachment=2890]

This is what they do will all that extra money you are sucking up in fuel because you "want to look good and go fast". Enjoy the view -- YOUR PAYING FOR IT.

I WILL ALWAYS be an advocate towards SLOWING DOWN and USING LESS FUEL so that truck owners can keep what they earn instead of giving to already rich oil companies.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's