Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: How do i get an oil sample?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to start doing oil samples on my trucks but I've never done one. What's the best way to do it and where do i send it?
You can take a sample to speedco and they will run it while you wait. I have mine done when oil changed I think k it's 10$
Speedco is about as accurate as a nerf gun. I think black stone labs will send you sample kits for free, you just pay when you send the sample in. If I took my own I'd let the oil drain from the pan plug for a few seconds then pull a sample from the stream.
(07-23-2017 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to start doing oil samples on my trucks but I've never done one. What's the best way to do it and where do i send it?

That depends on how accurate you want the sample to be. for a very basic "Oh shi#t something might be wrong" -- speedco is ok, but like others said, about as accurate as a nerf gun (I laughed when I saw that). For a serious result, use a lab. I use the prepaid sample kits from Amsoil. Blackstone is likely good too, never tried them though.
There is an oil pan plug, I have one, that makes it easy to grab a sample... It is a ball valve, forget the name, but they are worth the money and someone here can post the name of the manufacturer.

As far as labs, I am able to change my oil pretty consistently at the same Speedco, and always pull a sample. It at least gives me a record and or baseline as to what is going on. And it will at the minimum tell you IF something is seriously wrong, or headed in that direction. I have never had any issues, and they did pick up my engine wear prior to my in frame. If you are all over the country and inconsistent with oil changes, I would go with a private lab like Blackstone. Get that ball valve oil plug, it will make taking samples effortless.

Here is the kicker, that Speedco Oil Analysis machine, is more or less the same machine that your local hospital uses to test your blood. So, take that into consideration the next time you buy a Nerf Gun or have your blood tested. In fact, I would wager it is the same outfit making the machines that are in your local Hospital that are testing the oil at the Speedco. That machine is only as good as the management is. ;-)
Reference URL's