Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: ELD mandate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone! December is coming soon, are you guys ready for Electronic Logs? Whats ya all thinking about it? How it will effect us, owners operators, truck industry? Any thoughts?
On another forum I made these 2 posts, they about sum up my whole thoughts on the subject...
The original point of the thread was Rep. Brian Babin's 2 year delay proposal.
Post 1:
I think trying to delay it is the wrong approach.
The insurance and legal industries are going to force it in like it or not, so use it as a negotiating tool.
Here's the idea;
Fine, we the trucking industry are supportive of measures for safety, so we'll embrace e-logs...under the condition that you the regulating body (FMCSA), will then agree that the HOS Reg's are BULLSHIT!!!
The oxymoron will now be on full display for the whole world to see. You, the regulating body are using HOURS to limit or regulate an industry that is wholly based on performance based financial compensation. Time to buck up baby. Shippers, Receivers, and Yes even YOU the DOT, YOUR DETENTION TIME WILL NOW BE MONITORED, and you will be financially responsible for said demiurge fees, or in the case of the DOT, a maximum time limited detention. If the DOT cannot find a violation to place you OOS in X amount of time, we are free to go! If the police can't find sufficient evidence to charge a suspect within 24hrs he is free to go, so why if the DOT can't find a violation in 10mins are we not free to go? It's only happened to me once, but I was held and inspected for over an hour and 45 mins at a scale, zero violation found. They were starting to get "nit picky" and when I called them on it and said I wanted to talk to the man in charge and it's time to have a state trooper or federal marshal attend before this becomes toxic, they let me go, that's BS!

We have been our own worst enemy ever since the inception of the log book. We lie, cheat, steal, and do everything we can to be able to increase our "performance" to increase our income, all at the detriment to ourselves to be able to hold the shippers and receivers accountable for needlessly wasting our time without being compensated. I'll be the first to stand up and say, "Yes I have absolutely done everything I just stated. Why, because the shippers and receivers have unreasonably wasted my time and they will not compensate me for it, and I have a reasonable expectation of income. I am performance base compensated, and I'll do what I have to to achieve said reasonable income."
Now you, the FMCSA, you need to stand up and admit that you realize the entire HOS regulations are out of line. If you don't believe they are and you wish to stand behind them, fine...let me kindly point out that YOU HAVE AN APPLICATION PROCESS AND HAVE GRANTED COUNTLESS EXEMTIONS FROM THE CURRENT HOS REG'S!!! These exemptions are your own admission that you understand that a "one size fits all" set of Reg's is WRONG!!!

Now LET'S do something TOGETHER with a mutual understanding.

These people don't understand "NO!", they understand negotiating, so let's get what we're due...FINALLY!

Quote:Post 2: is a reply, the other guys part has been italicizes & underlined
That's the funny thing. Everyone is asking for, and a lot are being granted exemptions. That proves they know the HOS are a total f$king mess. Very few people have a problem with the actual Elog. It's the HOS and having to adhere to it. Yesterday I went over by 8 mins. Two days ago I went over by 15. Are they going to be pricks at the next scale because I went over driving hours or will they be reasonable? Who knows! Every scale is like a lotto drawing. Will I get a dick or a nice guy? Or do I lose and hour and a half of drive time, pay? Which all snow balls by the end of the week.

Precisely, there's zero flexibility in the current flawed system. We all know it, that's why if we we're smart, we'd use it as a negotiating tool...instead of continuing to lie, cheat, and steal.

Step back boys and honestly take a look at our industry.
Every time they come out with some new reg;
-the Mega's via ATA et al get behind it and use back room negotiations to slowly squeeze us little guys.
-Us little guys, usually via OOIDA try to stop it. Not because we don't agrees with safety, which most reg's are designed around, but because the ATA/Mega's have negotiated it to affect us more.

We're losing, every single time. It's the classic definition of insanity, let's change the game and get behind it! And negotiate at the same time. Get the rule makers to concede a little and see we are not a bunch of anarchists. It has to be a little though, we can't change everything in one negotiation, time to learn the long game. If the FMCSA doesn't listen or negotiate, then when we make a case to the Senators and Congressman they will actually listen to us. Because we acting like adults and professionals, not like the temper tantrum little 5yr old shithead that just stomps his feet and screams NO NO NO! Would you want to do anything or listen to any group that acts that way?
I have had one for several years.
Regardless, if We don't use it as a negotiating tool, We are letting the biggest & best bargaining chip we've had in decades slip away and that's just foolish.
Yes I have let OOIDA know this, and had hoped after they lost the opportunity to have the Supreme Court hear the challenge they would change to this course but it appears they're going to continue to act like a child and say "No No No!" and get nowhere...
I'm with Hammer, use this as a tool to beat them over the head. All I can see is lost revenue and major disruptions. I routinely see guys running out of hours sitting in the docks up here in Michigan at the Automotive Suppliers and Plants. When the lines go down, the losses can be staggering. I am hoping the inflexible HOS are addressed, because that is the real issue, not the logging device.

The other issue I see coming, is the financial storm until all of this is ironed out. My equipment is paid for, house is paid for, no credit cards, etc just a Chevy truck lease, utilities and insurance. VA will have to pick up the health insurance. I can afford a hit to the wallet in the short term, how many guys here can do that while they sort out this mess they are creating?

Also, how many of you will take a 34 hour break at that truck stop 100 miles from your house? Or even closer? I see a real driver shortage coming, along with serious supply chain/logistics disruption, and I hope it is ugly as Hell when it happens. Maybe someone in DC will wake the F up. Face it, most of the freight and goods is moved in this country by guys and gals like everyone here, not the mega carriers.

And then the safety issues... Playing beat the clock with a big truck is never a good thing. Now multiply that... I see real death and carnage on the roadways a coming. I'm already seeing it out here, idiots driving like idiots, and there are seemingly a lot of them in the recent months. I have lost track of the times I have nearly been run over at a fuel island. Oh, and how about parking? This is not going to be pretty. Oh, and that 1/2 hour break, right in the middle of a critical freight run... Oh man...

On a side note, I was sitting here in this truck stop last week. I was talking with a Swift driver here in the lot. He was parked next to a reefer unit that was rather noisy which he complained about. I told him to just move his truck... Easy thing to do, eh? He couldn't, he said the second that truck moves his clock will start. Can't make this sheet up. Driver shortage coming? LOL!

We shall see, my company is starting the implementation in their company trucks over in Canada, and from what I hear it has not been pretty. Not that they run illegal, far from it, it is the inflexibility down here that has them stumped and trucks sitting when they could be working. Financially, it has been a loser for them.
* Asking the USDA to recommend a healthy diet that is actually healthy??? --- BIG MONEY, BIG BEEF, BIG SUGAR, AND THE BIG DAIRY INDUSTRY WHO HAVE CREATED THIS CLOSED LOOP OF HEART ATTACK BROTHERHOOD TO CONTROL IT FROM WITHIN THE GOVERNMENT WILL THREATEN YOU LIKE A BUNCH OF SCHOOL CHILDREN WITH KNIVES IN THE PLAYGROUND WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING!. -- Oh wait,.. SORRY,... The guys running the USDA --- ARE the same guys who are the bullies!. they have already run off the people who would likely be unbiased and could make a difference.

* Asking the EPA to recommend vehicles USE LESS FUEL ABOVE ALL and clamping down on the oil production plants, and the beef industry WHO MAKE THE MOST ENVIRONMENTAL MESS ??? --- BIG MONEY, BIG OIL, BIG BEEF, AND THE AIRLINES WHO BLAST OUR ATMOSPHERE WITH TONS OF METHAINE, NOx, CO2 WHO HAVE CREATED THIS CLOSED LOOP OF BROTHERHOOD TO CONTROL IT FROM WITHIN THE GOVERNMENT WILL THREATEN YOU LIKE A BUNCH OF SCHOOL CHILDREN WITH KNIVES IN THE PLAYGROUND WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING!. -- Oh wait,.. SORRY,... The guys running the EPA --- ARE the same guys who are the bullies!. They have already run off the people who would likely be unbiased and could make a difference.

* Asking the FDA to enforce LOWERING THE PRICE of prescription drugs to that equivelent to other countries so that people can ACTUALLY AFFORD to stay healthy ??? --- BIG MONEY AND BIG DRUG COMPANIES WHO HAVE CREATED THIS CLOSED LOOP OF BROTHERHOOD TO CONTROL IT FROM WITHIN THE GOVERNMENT WILL THREATEN YOU LIKE A BUNCH OF SCHOOL CHILDREN WITH KNIVES IN THE PLAYGROUND WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING!. -- Oh wait,.. SORRY,... The guys running the FDA --- ARE the same guys who are the bullies!. They have already run off the people who would likely be unbiased and could make a difference.

* Asking the DOT to enforce SAFE HOURS OF SERVICE REGULATIONS THAT ALLOW YOU TO STOP AND TAKE A BREAK WHEN YOU ARE TIRED??? --- BIG MONEY, BIG OIL, AND BIG TRUCKING COMPANIES WHO HAVE CREATED THIS CLOSED LOOP OF BROTHERHOOD TO CONTROL IT FROM WITHIN THE GOVERNMENT WILL THREATEN YOU LIKE A BUNCH OF SCHOOL CHILDREN WITH KNIVES IN THE PLAYGROUND WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING!. -- Oh wait,.. SORRY,... The guys running the DOT --- ARE the same guys who are the bullies!. They have already run off the people who would likely be unbiased and could make a difference.

====

Are you starting to get the picture??? -- It is not the e-logs,.. It is the 14-hour rule in the HOS that they enforce that is the problem. -- Oh wait --- THE DOT ITSELF IS THE PROBLEM!!!
not my words --> God Bless America -- God Bless The Unites States of Incorperation!
Life after ELD mandate due.
Driver arrived to the receiver but they can unload him only at night.
https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=63292238fc12
this is Brazil. Here in America shippers and receivers will seat behind something bulletproof.
I've heard of American drivers taking product to a bonded warehouse to drop a customers freight after refusing to give him a door within 2 hours. I personally would not damage the product. I'd do the bonded wharehouse that way they have to pay the bond to get their product.
(09-06-2017 )snailexpress Wrote: [ -> ]Life after ELD mandate due.
Driver arrived to the receiver but they can unload him only at night.
https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=63292238fc12
this is Brazil. Here in America shippers and receivers will seat behind something bulletproof.

This reminds me of a story I heard about 25 years ago. I was waiting for a forklift to come unload my flatdeck at one of the ship docks in Vancouver. I got to talking with another driver in the same position I was in and he told me this story.

He says he was on another ship dock and there was another driver waiting for a forklift. Finally one comes over and the first thing the forklift driver asked was "I want to see your union card". Well the driver wasn't union so he didn't have one and the forky drove off. He waited another long length of time before going in search of a manager and telling the story to him. The manager replied since the docks were union the forky wasn't required to unload him.

The driver phones his boss and explains and the bosses reply of course is don't leave unless you're unloaded. The driver thinks for a bit and comes up with an idea that he talks over with the manager and the manager gives his consent. The driver backs up his trailer to a sturdy pole, belly wraps the small diameter pipe and chains the other end to the pole then drives out from under the load. Of course the load now looks like a nightmare game of pick up sticks but the manager signs the bills and adds "no damage" for good measure. Manager goes looking for the forky who refused to unload and informs him that "now that it's off the truck and on the dock, it is your job now clean it up".
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's