Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: ISX15 CM2250 fuel pump timeframe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hello all,

We have two ISX15 CM2250's, one is at 630,000ish mileage. My question is what is the recommended timeframe to pull the fuel pump to prevent damage to the engine. What kind of plungers are recommended now? I've heard Ceramic and Steel are both bad. This has been racking my brain the last couple of days... What is good anymore??
Cummins has a rebuild kit, there is a two plunger and three plunger pump, the kit will work on either. The ceramic plungers fail and so are the rollers. Mr Hagg and others here are stating the life expectancy on these pumps is roughly 300,000 to 400,000 miles. If you have not checked what you have by removing the pump head, I would do that ASAP. And if it were me, I would pull the pumps and rebuild, cheap insurance. But sadly, no real guarantee.
(09-16-2017 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]Cummins has a rebuild kit, there is a two plunger and three plunger pump, the kit will work on either. The ceramic plungers fail and so are the rollers. Mr Hagg and others here are stating the life expectancy on these pumps is roughly 300,000 to 400,000 miles. If you have not checked what you have by removing the pump head, I would do that ASAP. And if it were me, I would pull the pumps and rebuild, cheap insurance. But sadly, no real guarantee.

Do you know what the avg cost is for either method? The fuel pump since we've had the truck has never been inspected nor changed. We bought the truck roughly around 412,000 miles. It may have been done before, but not by us.
If you have the older 3-piston pump,..you will need to upgrade it. that will cost you about $3000 roughly in parts alone to replace and upgrade.

If you have the newer pump, I think its about $800 in parts to replace the guts properly, maybe ask Mr. Hag, he will know better.

The recommendation on the forum here is to replace the guts in the fuel pump for the 2250 and 2350 engines no matter what guts they have, ceramic or otherwise, at every 400k miles intervals. Very few make it past 600k miles, so if yours is still going strong at that age you mentioned,.. you are on borrowed time.
(09-16-2017 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]If you have the older 3-piston pump,..you will need to upgrade it. that will cost you about $3000 roughly in parts alone to replace and upgrade.

If you have the newer pump, I think its about $800 in parts to replace the guts properly, maybe ask Mr. Hag, he will know better.

The recommendation on the forum here is to replace the guts in the fuel pump for the 2250 and 2350 engines no matter what guts they have, ceramic or otherwise, at every 400k miles intervals. Very few make it past 600k miles, so if yours is still going strong at that age you mentioned,.. you are on borrowed time.

Thanks Rawze! Really starting to dislike Cummins. Are they still allowing recalls? This seems like an issue that warrants a civil lawsuit.
(09-16-2017 )zyNoT Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-16-2017 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]If you have the older 3-piston pump,..you will need to upgrade it. that will cost you about $3000 roughly in parts alone to replace and upgrade.

Thanks Rawze! Really starting to dislike Cummins. Are they still allowing recalls? This seems like an issue that warrants a civil lawsuit.

Recall time is over
Civil lawsuit ......... Don't dream about this. Cummins lobby is much stronger then engine.
Im a tech and work for Ryder,
This year alone I know we (my shop) have sent 6 trucks to cummins for there fuelpumps
12-14K each. Im sure if there was something that could be done ryder would have pulled those strings
But on a side note, Our cummins dealer down the street loves us lmao
I'd rather pay a good lawyer than Cummins. They made a defective product.
I am going to do the rebuild myself and I checked QuickServe and I have the two cylinder pump.
Here is the screen shot and I added to the screenshot the parts I figured should be replaced.
If Cummins has a kit does anyone know the kit number?
[attachment=3093]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Reference URL's