Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: ISX fan clutch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just replace fan clutch about a month ago and now sitting near Atlanta, Ga with new fan clutch gone. Any suggestions as too how this happens. New Fan clutch every month could get expensive.
I have found if the truck is slow on building air (on cummins for some weird reason)
it will burn the clutch in the fan due to partially in gauging during build up
Dont get fooled out there .... you can in fact buy the the clutch disk and a 5/16 ratchet wrench
and swap it under 30 min
Get on down to mr Hagg in griffin, ga, and let him find the underlying reason
Yes, I did the last one. Air seems fine
I bought a reman fan clutch from clutch master last year and just like you,.it piled up very fast. I was worried about what was causing it. I brought it in for warranty and got a new one and that ones been fine ever since.

Could just be a crap one.
Did you take the belt loose and check for play in the fan hub bearings with the fan clutch removed? If there is any play in it the hub will allow the fan clutch to wobble on the shaft, ruining the clutch shaft in short order.
That was my first thought. Bearings wasn't wobbling when I replaced a month ago. I bought the bearings but didn't replace them at the time because I didn't feel I could get them out without pry bars.
Also, I heard a squealing sound. Like a belt squealing yesterday. It was off and on guessing now it must had been the clutch.
Got a rebuild kit for 109.99.was remarkably easy too do. Also, took off hub and after 2 hours getting no where. Put it back on. Fan kick right in and stayed on. Thinking some sort of air problem. Will investigate further when I get home in a few days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's