Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: cm870 engine light and running rough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last Thursday I was driving along in one of the gravel pits I haul out of and the engine shut off light came on, 3 seconds later the engine cut out and refused to turn on.

Towed it to a local shop that said the code read fuel shut off solinoid failure. They replaced solinoid and claimed they used an "aftermarket" computer due to the tune I'm running. I told them not to use the Cummins software that would reset it

30 minutes after leaving the shop my Engine light came on and truck all of a sudden started running really rough. Almost like it was starving for fuel. Lots of vibration and almost no power. Motor sounded like half of it wasn't firing or something.

Limped bobtail back to the shop. I'll be there tmrw with my laptop and inline hardware to make sure they're reading everything right

Has anyone had any similar issues with a cm870? I know we won't know until it's plugged into the laptop but maybe someone has had a similar experience???
Does it run for a couple of seconds after key off?

Did they clean the disc and plates behind the shutoff solenoid or just change the solenoid?

Check to make sure the shutoff solenoid wire is tight and not rubbed on anything.

Make sure the locking tabs are all the way installed on all four fuel actuator connectors - These can be hard to install because fuel makes the seals swell. When one of those connectors is only halfway in, you can have rough running or misfires without fault codes.

Could also be a coincidence and we'll have to wait and see what the fault codes are.
(09-18-2017 )Signature620 Wrote: [ -> ]Does it run for a couple of seconds after key off?

Did they clean the disc and plates behind the shutoff solenoid or just change the solenoid?

Check to make sure the shutoff solenoid wire is tight and not rubbed on anything.

Make sure the locking tabs are all the way installed on all for fuel actuator connectors - These can be hard to install because fuel makes the seals swell. When one of those connectors is only halfway in, you can have rough running or misfires without fault codes.

Could also be a coincidence and we'll have to wait and see what the fault codes are.

Before solinoid was changed out it would run for a few seconds after key off but It didn't seem to do that today. But I'll make sure we double check the connections and seals tmrw
I got same engine and was having same problems...shut down right in middle of I285 Atlanta. Truck went totally dead going 70mph. Then came back on. Wasn't getting charged properly. End up being the nut on solenoid vibrated loose.It can even se finger tight but still be loose. Worth. 30 seconds check.
Started the truck this morning and after about ten seconds of idling rough it evened out by itself and the engine light turned off. Showed no fault codes when plugged in this morning and has been running fine for the past 6 hours.

Tune was double checked and so were the fault codes with my laptop; showed nothing wrong.

Shop called it a possible "ecm glitch"? Not sure what happened but it all seems to be running like it should now
And I also had no codes
could it have been air still in the fuel system? Once you break it open it takes a bit to clear all the air out. also there are two o rings on the shut off. they will leak there, never noticed them sucking air there though.
Reference URL's