Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Soot on my clean hood!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So if the wind blows right I get soot all over my hood or in the drivers window on initial start up. I just washed it at the streakin' beacon and then this the next morning. Most blows off in the wind but I'm not impressed. Is this normal for an ISX?
[attachment=3111]
Is that shooting out of your exhaust?
Mine has done the same thing b4. Only thing ive done is changed fuel filters and cleaned my intake filter. I havent noticed any soot specs lately but im off road all the time so its a little dirty anyway.
(09-21-2017 )DDlighttruck Wrote: [ -> ]So if the wind blows right I get soot all over my hood or in the drivers window on initial start up. I just washed it at the streakin' beacon and then this the next morning. Most blows off in the wind but I'm not impressed. Is this normal for an ISX?

My truck used to do the same thing..... it looked like it was snowing black snow.
Thanks to the de-mandate from this awesome web site.....no codes and no snow.
I had an CM-870 in a Volvo that did that same thing. Water from the truck wash would get into the stack and pool. Start it up the next morning and it would rain soot every time. Would do the same after a very hard rain too.

And that is another thing, that water did get into my exhaust system and rotted it out from the inside. Almost killed me with carbon monoxide. Check your exhaust piping, especially under the cab. I was surprised how quickly these exhausts will rot out. This was on a new truck.
(09-22-2017 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]Is that shooting out of your exhaust?

Yes out the stacks
(09-22-2017 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]I had an CM-870 in a Volvo that did that same thing. Water from the truck wash would get into the stack and pool. Start it up the next morning and it would rain soot every time. Would do the same after a very hard rain too.

And that is another thing, that water did get into my exhaust system and rotted it out from the inside. Almost killed me with carbon monoxide. Check your exhaust piping, especially under the cab. I was surprised how quickly these exhausts will rot out. This was on a new truck.

Mine just got redone. The only thing the guy didn't change were my stacks. All new from the turbo back.
There is a auto truck wash I go to that will put socks on your stacks if it's pre emission or deleted because if they don't, water fills the stack and will then shoot sooty water all over.

Prerty much just parroting what Waterloo said already.

Possible that this is what happened to you?
(09-23-2017 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]There is a auto truck wash I go to that will put socks on your stacks if it's pre emission or deleted because if they don't, water fills the stack and will then shoot sooty water all over.

Prerty much just parroting what Waterloo said already.

Possible that this is what happened to you?

Maybe. That picture was 2-3 days after getting it washed. I've noticed it before I started washing the truck, the worst is when the windows are down and it gets on the interior.
If it's "normal" for these trucks I'll live with it.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's