Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Looking for opinions /experience with aftermarket exhaust manifolds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on aftermarket exhaust manifolds like full tilt / Pittsburgh power?
Has Rawze, Unilevers or Mr Haggs ever done a custom tune with one of these manifolds installed?
If so, what were the results on boost / EGT, etc. compared to stock manifold?

http://{name removed}/cummins-08-11-egr/

If there is already a thread on this topic just point me in the right direction but I couldn't find one.

My truck is stock and still mandated.

Thanks
Longshot
Some of the guys use them here with good results. I think it is one of the few, if only decent part that PP sells.
Thanks Waterloo!
It seems logical that a higher volume of faster, cooler exhaust would improve performance but logical and real life are not always the same.
I am really interested to know the effects with a custom tune.
Seen lots of guys with them and try them,... Waste of money that gets you no measurable positive results above the factory manifold for any HP less than about 800+.

The only one that I have seen make any kind of slight difference is the intake for the CM870 will provide slight results but only when your pushing the engine above 550 HP or more.

I.E> -- It is nothing more than feel-good item for most people who want to haul freight instead of being a power hungry fool. Nothing but a serious waste.

Just because something "looks" like it can do better, does not mean it will. For an exhaust or intake manifold to be "better" by any measurable degree, you must first be starting to exceed the flow capacity of the one you already have.
I was NOT looking for additional power but thought lower EGT "might" be beneficial and improved flow "might" improve turbo response and that "might" improve mileage but if the manufacture's data is all smoke and mirrors or has no real benefit in lower horsepower engines then I can accept that no problem.
Thanks
I was thinking the same as you when I first bought my aftermarket exhaust manifold but it was complete bs, not only that the mounting studs for the turbo are too short so you'd have to get creative. I have since went back to the stock exhaust manifold.
I have a full tilt on my 871. Seemed to help egt's not rise as fast. But I also did a turbo planet and wrapped the downpipe. I will say I find the build quality much better than the factory piece.
Can't beat others real life experience - Thanks Marek
I did not say what I did because it was speculation. I have met many like marek4792 who have had them.

I even met a guy who did some measurements both before and after using his manifold temp gauge. Heat absorption seemed to be about the same. Here is why...

The biggest exhaust restriction in a turbocharged diesel engine BY FAR, and first and foremost IS THE TURBOCHARGER ITSELF, far exceeding the other components like the exhaust manifold. It absorbs a ton of heat and makes the exhaust gases slow down significantly in the manifold itself. The gas being slowed down in the manifold causes it to absorb more heat too,.. it does not matter what sort of coating or polishing it has because of this until you start moving more volume through it than it can stand,.. and that is not likely to happen because the turbocharger is holding as much as 90-PSI of exhaust back-pressure under full operating load.

Think about it --- As much as NINETY+ PSI of back-pressure to make 36-38 psi in the intake is not unusual.

there are things you can do to help efficiency, but replacing the exhaust manifold is not one of them unless your exceeding its flow capacity, ands the factory manifolds capacity is above the 600HP rating of the engine. What WILL help, is reducing the heat that escapes, trapping it in the system as much as possible. This means that an exhaust wrap will in fact start to create a measurable difference because less heat is absorbed and bled off in the components.

That is what I know about it,.. of course,. I am full of s#it.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's