Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Fuel Lift Pump swap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I keep hearing my lift pump is weak. It has trouble starting after a full PM with fuel filters.
So I got a new lift pump now I want to put it on.
Do's?
Don't's?
Anything special I need to do once done and going for the restart? Last time I did something simple it knocked out 3 injectors so I'm over cautious about fuel items.
Thanks
The fuel line just squeeze the connector!!!!to remove it, and tighten the 4 screw and x pattern and make sure you change the gasket.
(09-27-2017 )Grizzly Wrote: [ -> ]I keep hearing my lift pump is weak. It has trouble starting after a full PM with fuel filters.
So I got a new lift pump now I want to put it on.
Do's?
Don't's?
Anything special I need to do once done and going for the restart? Last time I did something simple it knocked out 3 injectors so I'm over cautious about fuel items.
Thanks

Yes on the Do list;
Change the anti-drain back valve while you have the lift pump off anyway. It is vertical directly above where the lift pump mounts.

This is assuming you have an 870/871, if I recall correctly.
It's pretty ez i did mine once in a rest area in WY should give you no issue to replace.
and if you replace the anti drain valve run the lift pump a bit longer to get the fuel up there.. as it a mess when you remove that valve, if it was doing it job. i got a nice shot of fuel on my dumb ass when i did mine....
You'll need a long 5mm allen socket and make sure you really hammer it into the bolts because they round easily. If you round one off and manage to get the rest out, you can hit the pump to spin it anti clockwise and break the bolt loose.
^^^what he said.

I did mine while I had my top end still apart and I ended up rounding off two. The rear will NOT cooperate with a long ball end 5mm hex or 3/8 extension and short 5mm hex. You really need a long non ball end 5mm to get to it without getting it into the bolt cockeyed, at least that's how it was on mine. And yes, tap it to make sure it goes in all the way! Those bolts are abnormally soft but tight.

I ended up having to remove the IFSM, tap one with a cold chisel and punch to loosen it, and I got the other with vice grips. Other than that it wasn't too bad. Also cleaned and painted it and replaced some other goodies while I had access.
Reference URL's