Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Oil temp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
05 isx cm870. My oil temp reads 250 on any hard pulls almost constantly. Is it normal or should lower?
Tad bit high... First thing that popped into my head is a bad oil cooler. I believe there is one in the 870. Passenger side, in block. I would also check the oil thermostat. I’m thinking oil cooler though. Also, can you turn the engine fan on in the cab manually? Might be something as simple as that, a fan override switch to turn it on. IS the engine fan coming on in those pulls? Also, do you have a pyrometer gauge on the exhaust manifold to monitor the engine exhaust gas temps? If not, you NEED one!
(10-16-2017 )808allstarr Wrote: [ -> ]05 isx cm870. My oil temp reads 250 on any hard pulls almost constantly. Is it normal or should lower?

Oil cooler problems, a leaky injector, and/or bad programming in the ECM can do it too (A bad custom tune or delete program).
Hey guys, friend of mine has 2013 volvo with d13 engine and his engine oil temp is like 230-238F he says under normal driving. Any ideas what a problem would be? Truck has 540k miles. Oil cooler or oil termostat? Thanks
(10-16-2017 )808allstarr Wrote: [ -> ]05 isx cm870. My oil temp reads 250 on any hard pulls almost constantly. Is it normal or should lower?

My CM871 had retarded injector cam timing. It was retarded by 12 thou, constant high oil and water temps. oil temps at 250 + when working hard. We checked all the usual suspects like oil and water thermostats, coolers, radiators, water pumps. the list goes on. Ended up being the timing was out from factory, this was a Cummins Recon engine but it may pay to get someone to with the tooling to check it for you. It's only a couple of hrs job. My engine works really hard all the time over here and still has the mandate
(10-17-2017 )Aussie Steve Wrote: [ -> ]

My CM871 had retarded injector cam timing. It was retarded by 12 thou, constant high oil and water temps. oil temps at 250 + when working hard. We checked all the usual suspects like oil and water thermostats, coolers, radiators, water pumps. the list goes on. Ended up being the timing was out from factory, this was a Cummins Recon engine but it may pay to get someone to with the tooling to check it for you. It's only a couple of hrs job. My engine works really hard all the time over here and still has the mandate

Yup, incorrect or slipped overhead cam timing can do it too. Didn't think of that one, thanks.
So changed thermostat. No difference. Next will be oil cooler but is there any indication that it is indeed a bad oil cooler. How would we tell if cooler is bad besides the fact oil temp is high? I will also have them recheck and recalibrate ecm for any issues there. Also the cam timing. Could the timing or metering actuators be a possible problem also?
(10-31-2017 )808allstarr Wrote: [ -> ]So changed thermostat. No difference. Next will be oil cooler but is there any indication that it is indeed a bad oil cooler. How would we tell if cooler is bad besides the fact oil temp is high? I will also have them recheck and recalibrate ecm for any issues there. Also the cam timing. Could the timing or metering actuators be a possible problem also?
when is the last time you cleaned the exterior coils of your radiator?
(11-01-2017 )hhow55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2017 )808allstarr Wrote: [ -> ]So changed thermostat. No difference. Next will be oil cooler but is there any indication that it is indeed a bad oil cooler. How would we tell if cooler is bad besides the fact oil temp is high? I will also have them recheck and recalibrate ecm for any issues there. Also the cam timing. Could the timing or metering actuators be a possible problem also?
when is the last time you cleaned the exterior coils of your radiator?

Maybe a year ago rad was recored cleaned and powerwashed. But took rad out of prob due checks with temp gun before and after rad and temps was ok. So to me rad doin its job. But excess heat from eng oil is way to high causing water temps to go high too. But thats jus my analysis.?????
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's