Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Elog cheat discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I had a Qualcomm wire issue last week (I'm not running Qualcomm.....but the harness is still in the truck) and discovered something interesting. The hack job I did on trying to get the harness out of the truck left me with some bare wires hanging out the back of the sleeper. I drove it on our first salty road day and my message light came on the dash. I knew it was a Qualcomm harness issue but it ended up killing the communication between my ecm and dash to the point I had no oil, temp, volt, tac, and speedo.

On the way back to the shop I noticed something......my elog was on duty but not driving. As I was driving I put it into off duty and left it there. Yes.....I was moving 60mph down the road and the elog wasnt recording drive time. The 411 here is this wont help you drive from Chicago to Indianapolis because your gps will give location and I'm sure if you get checked they wont believe you had Scotty beam you over but it will help in a situation where you are parked and for some reason have to move the truck over 5mph to a better place a few miles down the road. I believe if you interrupt the speed sensor and cause the speedo not to register speed you can get away with this. I plan to try it since the elog doesnt record truck movement off the gps.
Badass!! We need as much info like this as we can get! Down with the communist bastards!
Just trying to help. I would like to find someone who could make a plug harness so I wouldnt have to cut my harness.
I found what is supposedly a fully "reassignable" aobrd, and it qualifies for the grand father clause. Can be switched to eld at the push of a button, but no going back to aobrd. Allows you to set the auto driveline speed anywhere between 5-100mph, best part is it doesn't keep the original, just the approved logs.. The bad is it had to be ordered by yesterday, nothing upfront but $18 a month (using my phone/tablet), 3 year contract that's cancelable should the mandate change, and is on a 2-3 week backorder. We will see if the companies claim is accurate............
Hack is really simple but this forum is for red engine.
Assuming you are not breaking any kind of laws, tampering with the speed sensor is one of the oldest things people have done to get around company truck governors. Although some are more lenient than others, all newer engines have settings in them to prevent this type of tampering. The red engines for example, it can be set lenient or very strict. It is usually only people who have had custom tuning done and those settings removed or reduced that get away with speed sensor tampering.

I am also not a proponent in cheating the ELD. -- I AM HOWEVER all for everyone getting together and demanding better HOS rules where drivers can take a nap and it not knock their 14-hour clocks di^k in the dirt. That has always been the biggest problem and it makes for extra tired drivers who are inherently less safe out on the roads. Sure, there are many drivers who can pull 11 hours a day every day of the week,.. but for every one of those drivers,.. there are three who get really really tired come that 9th, 10'th or 11'th hour and their pushing their 14 already from getting loaded, fueling, mandatory break, etc. earlier in the day.

===

- We have a full-blown EOBR qualcomm unit. I have the power cables on a switch in the dash. the goddamn thing draws a continuous 8 amps from the batteries when it is on and I do not like that. it will drain your batteries in a day or 2 at most. The switch is for when we park and shut the truck down, but also for when the truck is home and it is getting worked on. Here is what I have found when a mechanic is driving the truck around town with the qualcomm off...

- If you turn it on and you are more than a mile or 2 away from the place you shut it down,.. it complains. If you park the truck in the same spot when you turn it back on than it was when you turned it off,.. it does not complain.

- If you re-flash the engine ECM with a program that has different trip data in it, it complains. It freaks out if the ODO mileage don't match its last recorded data OR if the fuel mileage, consumed gallons of fuel, average speeds, decel records, and other data suddenly don't add up against the ODO reading. - I get away with this because I own the truck and my carrier can't dictate what I do with the truck when servicing it. If I did something like changing the data/mileage/etc. and they saw this happen while I was under a load, I am sure it would be a serious problem real fast. Those units are not as stupid as people would think and neither is the DOT. I am sure they are going to be VERY watchful of tampering attempts in the near future, and it would not surprise me if they start connecting to trucks to get ECM data while they are at it.

With a qualcomm unit, i think people don't realize that DOT has complete access to its data through the qualcomm service on-line. They even know what your fuel mileage and other data is as you pass them at the scales. They know when the last time you were stopped and when you got fuel too.

Just some info related to this subject as i have seen so far, nothing more. I do not promote people doing something unsafe and driving against the HOS etc.
Well a lot has changed since qualcomm first came out at first and for quite a few years we were told it wouldn't be used for law enforcement most of us knew that was BS. My thought on all of this these devices are too smart. I haven't needed a baby sitter for 40 years but I have one now. I learned how to manage time and traffic years ago under his when you could break up your day paid of to avoid traffic ,accidents, weather conditions or just plain needed a short nap. Those day are long gone and so is ripping out loose leaf and starting over. Even without Elogs we are on so many camera's some scales take video even when they are closed. Eventually I believe the goal is for law enforcement be able to get all your information wireless as you drive down the road.
(12-17-2017 )Rockhwy Wrote: [ -> ]..
Eventually I believe the goal is for law enforcement be able to get all your information wireless as you drive down the road.

Yes,.. the DOT has plans on being able to tripple their inspection rates over the next several years. Wireless inspections are the goal where they can see how worn your brakes are, how fast you stop, how fast you go, when you take your break, and law enforcement is getting special software so they can see every trucks data as it passes them on the freeway and they can see how fast you were going 50 miles behind you.

this is real. and it is already in progress.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/research-and-a...ch-project

http://cta.ornl.gov/cta/CMVRTC/presentat...poster.pdf
I absolutely agree that the problem is the hos and 14 hour rule. There is no reason we should be pushing people to race a clock, we are humans not machines. My real problem with the mandate is that the ATA lobbied for it and a couple of other things, like required speed governors and pushing gross weight to 90k. Two of the three was under the guise of safety, but it's so they can monopolize all the freight. The ceo's of the mega carriers can all sit down, make an agreement and push the rest of us independent and small carriers out of business, because we the other 60+% of this industry can not even agree on what color the sky is. The fmcsa estimated that this mandate would cost the industry more than 2.1 billion, the independent and small carriers would bear almost 1.8 billion of that. This mandate has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with ending competition. It's the slow stripping of our rights as drivers pushing towards automanous trucks with large depots outside the city, and company drivers in day cabs pulling last mile to make delivery and pick up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's