Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM2250 intake/exhaust leak results analysis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I just replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets, so I thought it a good time to try Rawze’s exhaust/intake test using an air bladder in the turbine outlet and one in the compressor intake. I made a valve to pressurize the system through the turbo temp sensor hole. I set my shop air for 10psi. I then got out the soap bottle and found two exhaust clamps leaking and reseated them to fix the leaks.
However my system never would pressurize at the 10psi?? Is this normal? This being the first time I have tried this test I don’t know. I could always hear air moving and the shop air tank would eventually drain down and kick on the air compressor. I was at a loss as to where the air was going as there were no external leaks. Then I took off the oilfill cap and I could feel air coming out. Is this ok?? Or should I be planning a new turbo soon?? Thanks in advance.
I tested mine 2350 same way.With constant supply of 35psi the system is keeping 22-23psi max with no external leaks on the system.That is how I did it, the bad part and fix.[attachment=3450][attachment=3451][attachment=3452]
That is a pretty cool idea with the turbo there. Simple and very stable, safe, and effective. Thanks for sharing the idea.

I would have used the turbo inlet temp sensor hole for the gauge and adding pressure though instead of drilling holes into the plate.
mmssvv, is that your Davco fuel filter on the passenger side front of frame?
What kind of truck is that?
Sure seems like an awful lot of fuel line plumbing when the fuel system is on the drivers side of the engine, kinda made me go WTF!
(01-22-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote: [ -> ]mmssvv, is that your Davco fuel filter on the passenger side front of frame?
Sure seems like an awful lot of fuel line plumbing when the fuel system is on the drivers side of the engine, kinda made me go WTF!
I have same setup and think it better to have longer plastic fuel line and short coolant lines easy to check.
BTW power steering cooler/heater is located inside the frame on passenger side.
(01-22-2018 )snailexpress Wrote: [ -> ]I have same setup and think it better to have longer plastic fuel line and short coolant lines easy to check.
BTW power steering cooler/heater is located inside the frame on passenger side.

Ah ha, I've never personally seen one of the infamous liquid heated fuel filters!
That explains it.
Does that legth of fuel line, particularly plastic, not concern you for gelling issues pre-filter if it gets extremely cold?
Mine is the same Hammer, I bet his truck is a Volvo. Fuel lines run all the way down the drivers side, under the front engine mount to the filter then back under the engine mount to the lift pump. Yay Volvo!!! Known for putting things in precarious places! When it gets cold I dose real good with Howe’s run a while a hope for the best! Haven’t had her gel up yet, but then again I try to stay out of the cold as much as possible!!
(01-22-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote: [ -> ]mmssvv, is that your Davco fuel filter on the passenger side front of frame?
This is Volvo870.I changed the original lines with rubber hoses because i don't like the new plastic crap.My old volvo 670 with Cummins engine had the same Davco set up.Never got problem with fuel in cold ambient with either one,taking into account I am driving a lot in North US and Canada all trough the Winter,this is Ok set up.I am not using anti-gel additives.There is no chance to gel up if engine is running,the volvo is too much close around the engine and thaks, especially the new one (minus in Summer,plus in Winter).My "gauge" for fuel gelling is my Webasto bunk heater because the fuel line supplying it is too long and very tiny.If it stop working this mean is time to start the engine.Working perfect till -10,-15F ,below I am not shooting down the engine.
Be careful with using rubber lines on the suction side of a fuel system. They got away from using rubber because as it softens it becomes prone to collapsing under suction.
Reference URL's