Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM 870 turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Sounds like I might need a turbo, truck is on the hook heading back to my shop now. Any suggestions on where to get a new turbo? I think i remember someone saying not to buy anything except a genuine cummins. Are they remans?
(01-24-2018 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like I might need a turbo, truck is on the hook heading back to my shop now. Any suggestions on where to get a new turbo? I think i remember someone saying not to buy anything except a genuine cummins. Are they remans?

Yes you can get a genuine Cummins reman.
Blew a ton of oil out of the exhaust stack, driver said it was smoking like a steam engine. Would that be the seal inside the turbo?
Yup.

Good luck on finding a descent priced turbo for a cm870. Last one I bought was $3400 for just the turbo. They're not very common anymore. Took the Cummins distribution warehouse a day to get in. I did a search online afterward to see if I could find it cheaper. Found a couple that were a few hundred cheaper but after shipping and returning the core it was better to buy directly from Cummins.
The kenworth dealer has one in stock here. They said $2,600.00 and a $500.00 core
Took it apart today, like I thought the turbo failed. I'm just wondering what made it fail? Was it a bearing inside that let loose or was it something inside the motor that failed and went through the turbo? I'm about to put a new turbo, intercooler, oil/ coolant lines etc. etc. a ton of money in parts and I don't want the same thing to happen again if something let loose inside the motor. I attached some pics so maybe you guys can get an idea of what happened?? I need to get this truck back on the road tomorrow if possible, i can post more pictures of the parts if you want to see something specific.

[attachment=3474][attachment=3475][attachment=3476]
From the last photo, looks like the fins got chewed up.
the top 2 pics are the turbine (exhaust side) the bottom pic is the compressor side (intake side)
I found this broken stud with a strange looking nut on it inside the turbo. Was that part of the turbo or did it come out of the motor?
[attachment=3477][attachment=3478]
the top 2 pics are the turbine (exhaust side) the bottom pic is the compressor side (intake side)
I found this broken stud with a strange looking nut on it inside the turbo. Was that part of the turbo or did it come out of the motor?

[/quote]

This is the compressor wheel retaining nut with snapped portion off the turbine shaft still in it . Have you lugged when this ting happened? Be honest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's