Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Reason for a forced re gen ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it good to do forced re gens often rather than waiting for the truck to ask for one? I only have 1 truck that re gens so I'm new to the emissions stuff. I bought the truck brand new (it's a crane truck) it has a little over 700 hours on it now and it's never asked for a re gen yet. Does that seem right? It's a cummins isx12
The only time the truck ask you for a parked regen is because there's something going on with aftertreatment. Either not finishing passive regens on its own or something in the aftertreatment is bad... a healthy truck should never ask for a parked regen. U can hook up insite and see the history and see how dpf filter is at on level. I think it shouldn't be more than 4. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
So needing a parked re gen is a sign that your on the road to problems?
It will also request a Regen if it idles a lot. Certainly a crane would do a lot of that.
Up here in the Great White North, the only time I idle my truck overnight is if it is -30C (-24F) or colder. Otherwise I shut it off and use my Webasto’s to keep me warm and to pre-heat the engine in the morning. If it is that cold and I leave it running, at about 4 in the morning it will light up that it needs a Regen.
Tree98, Keep in mind the emission system becomes very inefficient at anything under 30 degree F, and will require more frequent regens, as it does not do such a good job of cleaning itself at low ambient temps. The jack-holes at Cummins know this and have released bulletins about it. Their “fix” for the problem, and I quote, “is to change the trucks duty cycle, (work it harder) or move the truck to an area with higher ambient temperatures” Really?....F$&k’n morons!! I’ll tell ya... anyhow:
The guys above told you correctly, usually if the truck is asking for a regen that is the sign that something isn’t exactly right. Could be the filter or DOC are plugging, could be the 7th injector needs to be cleaned, could be a tiny exhaust leak between the turbo and DOC inlet.... However aside from that, even if all is well, in cold temps it may ask for a regen because the passive “driving” regens aren’t getting a thorough burn. Also long idling may cause it to ask because when idling it has no way of passively regenerating like it does when you are driving. I think you have to reach about 650F on the pyro to passively regen. So if your doing stop and go driving, idling a lot, not working the engine hard enough to build the required exhaust system heat, or it is really cold out the system cannot take care of itself and it will ask you to do a parked regen.

There is really only one true fix for these types of problems......@m*m^2
(02-03-2018 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote: [ -> ]...
I think it shouldn't be more than 4. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually it is any averages above 3.0 inhg or so. Other than that, you were spot on.
Reference URL's