Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Tuned cm870 egt's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What's the hottest the after turbo egt's should get on a cm870 that they claim is set to 650 h.p. At the flywheel ? This thing seems like the sky is the limit ! I was told not to go over 1,000 degrees and I never really go over 950 for more than a couple seconds. It just seems like it starts really making a LOT of power around 950 degrees and you could easily go way over 1,000 if you weren't careful because it builds fast!! Is all this normal on a tuned engine?
(03-13-2018 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]What's the hottest the after turbo egt's should get on a cm870 that they claim is set to 650 h.p. At the flywheel ? This thing seems like the sky is the limit ! I was told not to go over 1,000 degrees and I never really go over 950 for more than a couple seconds. It just seems like it starts really making a LOT of power around 950 degrees and you could easily go way over 1,000 if you weren't careful because it builds fast!! Is all this normal on a tuned engine?

What the HELL! LOL! Who tuned that thing!?!
(03-13-2018 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]What's the hottest the after turbo egt's should get on a cm870 that they claim is set to 650 h.p. At the flywheel ? This thing seems like the sky is the limit ! I was told not to go over 1,000 degrees and I never really go over 950 for more than a couple seconds. It just seems like it starts really making a LOT of power around 950 degrees and you could easily go way over 1,000 if you weren't careful because it builds fast!! Is all this normal on a tuned engine?

650hp tune in mine as well, just take your foot out and shift down accordingly when they climb too high.

If the egr is shut off the truck can’t regulate egts as well so your foot is the best way to manage turbo temps

The lower you keep the temps the better off you are. All depends on the weight you haul and driving circumstances

Rawze has a thread talking about holset turbos and how Much heat they can withstand/for how long. Maybe someone can post it on here for you to read through. Lots of good info
(03-13-2018 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]

What the HELL! LOL! Who tuned that thing!?!

Unilever
(03-13-2018 )berrytrucking94 Wrote: [ -> ]

650hp tune in mine as well, just take your foot out and shift down accordingly when they climb too high.

If the egr is shut off the truck can’t regulate egts as well so your foot is the best way to manage turbo temps

The lower you keep the temps the better off you are. All depends on the weight you haul and driving circumstances

Rawze has a thread talking about holset turbos and how Much heat they can withstand/for how long. Maybe someone can post it on here for you to read through. Lots of good info

Ok, so the way mine is working is normal? That's fine we watch the pyro closely so we don't cause damage. This truck hauls 80k plus all the time so it will climb real fast and you have to be careful. I just thought i read on here somewhere that an engine is tuned properly the egt's won't get over 850. Maybe I misunderstood
(03-13-2018 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so the way mine is working is normal? That's fine we watch the pyro closely so we don't cause damage. This truck hauls 80k plus all the time so it will climb real fast and you have to be careful. I just thought i read on here somewhere that an engine is tuned properly the egt's won't get over 850. Maybe I misunderstood

at 600 - 650hp, 950 - 1050 post turbo is the ballpark for peak temp of actual EGT's if the sensor is inside the pipe. That is if everything else is on par and it is not over-boosting. 1100 would be on the hot side of things, and above would be not so great. - As far as the OUTSIDE of the manifold and the casing temp of the turbo,.. 950 is about as high as you want to see it for long term turbo life. How well the thing is cooled and how good of air flow around the engine will help determine this.

Unilevers

how much boost does it make? it sounds slightly hot for 650hp. Most larger CAC trucks can maintain 1000-1050 as high as you could get it (which is too high for a vgt). if its not building the correct boost or has leaks or many other things it will cause it to get hot fast - it should not be easy to get above 1000 you should have to work at it.

feel free to txt/call me so we can discuss this more it sounds like there may be a charge air issue or you run at extreme altitudes.
I forget to mention that it can only get that hot when loaded. If the truck is empty the highest it ever gets is probably 700 and that would be going up a hill. If I remember right it makes 38 or 39 lbs. Of boost according to the factory gauge
(03-13-2018 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]I forget to mention that it can only get that hot when loaded. If the truck is empty the highest it ever gets is probably 700 and that would be going up a hill. If I remember right it makes 38 or 39 lbs. Of boost according to the factory gauge

That’s right around where it should be, mine runs the same way. I also have a full tilt intake manifold (gains are negligible at this horsepower) but I installed it even if it helps a mere 2% it’s still an improvement in my eyes.

Avoid lugging the motor, otherwise it sounds like your tune is doing what it should. Uni knows what he’s doing
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's