Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Oil pump shim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I remember from the old site that you can use dimes or pennies to shim the oil pump but how many do you need to to use? My engine is getting a new head and rod and main bearings and want to up the oil preasure wile everything is apart so how many and wich one do I need to use?
Dimes or pennies? Inflation !!!!!
Quarters!!!! If i remember it right four.
[attachment=1348][attachment=1348]
(04-05-2016 )Erics diesel Wrote: [ -> ]I remember from the old site that you can use dimes or pennies to shim the oil pump but how many do you need to to use? My engine is getting a new head and rod and main bearings and want to up the oil preasure wile everything is apart so how many and wich one do I need to use?

Take a look,then check your hardware (spring and plunger for wear.There is a replacement kit available which I posted the number.
Hey when you are done, please come back and tell us how it worked out and what you did.tnx
From the old forum

Unilevers

gearhead has the exact shim measurement - but its more than you think - i believe his was somewhere in the 1/2" range but im sure he will chime in to make sure.
(09-15-2015 )Gadget Wrote: [ -> ]I wanted to follow up on the oil pressure
After I got back to my shop I decided to pull the oil pan and fix the mistake we made with the oil pressure mod.
When I got the pan removed actually dropped down in the front I completely removed the pressure regulator valve from the oil pump, you have to remove one of the mounting bolts and the cotter pin to get the valve out.

[attachment=1351]

As you can see in the picture the spring goes into the cup in the end of the valve I added 6 pennies inside the cup to add tension to the spring. I think you could use more I wasn't interested in huge increase just enough to keep oil pressure at about 40 psi while going down the road at 13-1400 rpms
After adding the pennies (you could also use dimes) I have driven this week and at 1400 rpm and oil temp around 220 I am keeping 40 psi. I am thinking if I did it again I would have used 8 or 9 pennies. The spring is definitely harder to compress and get the cotter pin back in. I got the end cap started then used a torx screwdriver to push the cap in to install the cotter pin.
I don't see a great increase in idle oil pressure but a very solid 20 psi at idle about 650 rpm
I also changed the oil filter bypass with the new cartridge style valve.
I will use 8 pennies and let you guys know what the preasure is like once we get it back on the road hopefully this weekend
I will be shimming mine a bit too, but ...

I would suspect that the more you shimm it, the shorter its lifespan will be as well.- Just some thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's