Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: ISX head identification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just want to make sure I don't get duped here.

Been seeing places selling new heads as opposed to reman heads. Since I'm having difficulty finding someone at KW and Cummins motivated enough to help me find a new head, I'm considering all options here. I'm also noticing some new offshore China parts coming in (great...)

Hoping to get some info on identifying new vs reman, Cummins vs other, and casting date locations so I know what I'm buying. Also wondering if there is a spec on or comparison pictures of what constitutes a sunken seat vs a new seat to help keep from getting screwed.

It's this or I plan on travelling/paying for truck freight from a dealer elsewhere. I just want to make sure I know what I'm looking at.
The part number and s/n are stamped into the drivers (LH) rear side of the head.
Genuine Cummins Reman will have RX following the Part Number!
New will ONLY have the Part Number, no letters following.
Aftermarket machine shop WILL NOT/MAY NOT mark the head, but if it's been used it should have some form of telltale signs. Aftermarket machine shops who do good work and are proud of it, usually have their own markings they will stamp onto the head.
RX is not the only letters they use they also use NX. I believe the difference is RX is for remanufactured and NX is new in the sequence of part numbers.
They used the NX in the part number for my holset Turbo actuator module and the metering and timing actuators.
(04-05-2018 )dhirocz Wrote: [ -> ]Just want to make sure I don't get duped here.

Been seeing places selling new heads as opposed to reman heads. Since I'm having difficulty finding someone at KW and Cummins motivated enough to help me find a new head, I'm considering all options here. I'm also noticing some new offshore China parts coming in (great...)

Hoping to get some info on identifying new vs reman, Cummins vs other, and casting date locations so I know what I'm buying. Also wondering if there is a spec on or comparison pictures of what constitutes a sunken seat vs a new seat to help keep from getting screwed.

It's this or I plan on travelling/paying for truck freight from a dealer elsewhere. I just want to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

All stock from the OEM is considered reman these days but you can still get new. You need to find one with "NX" on it instead of "RX" at the beginning of the part number stamped on it.
That's what I'm hoping to find, a new head. Unfortunately, everyone around here jumps on the 'not available' bandwagon, and doesn't want to bother to look. I can't motivate anyone to go look at what heads they have in stock either.

I guess when it's not your engine or money, it's easy to blow someone off. Gotta love the time clock mentality.
(04-11-2018 )dhirocz Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I'm hoping to find, a new head. Unfortunately, everyone around here jumps on the 'not available' bandwagon, and doesn't want to bother to look. I can't motivate anyone to go look at what heads they have in stock either.

I guess when it's not your engine or money, it's easy to blow someone off. Gotta love the time clock mentality.

It's so frustrating, how many businesses can charge six figures for a product and then treat the customer like total garbage? It amazes me
I think part of it is these sales reps and counter jockeys:
1. Assume you are clueless.
2. Assume that a reman is just as good as new.
3. Assume you are just picky.
4. Assume the corporate brainwashing they receive as part of the company self promotion campaign is totally accurate.
5. Assume assume assume.

Like I said, they still go home to the same bed every night and it's not their money, engine or truck, so why would they care? Most don't. The key is finding the one who does. My parts guy is good...but not THAT good. I might be travelling just to get a head if that's what I need to do.

We are no longer in the business of quality anymore. We are in the business of deceptively selling the notion of quality while setting up the customer as a long term source of income while keeping him distracted regarding how bad he's being tongue punched in his fartbox by the upper 1%.
(04-12-2018 )dhirocz Wrote: [ -> ]...
while keeping him distracted regarding how bad he's being tongue punched in his fartbox by the upper 1%.

LOLOLZ!
Most dealers will refuse but ask them if they will let you look inside all their RX cylinder head crates. You will be able to tell if any of their stock is a new head by the smooth finish around the exhaust ports and a recent date stamped about 4" from the back on the intake side. Quite a few RX boxes contain brand new heads because demand for Recons is high but so many cores are cracked and not-reusable.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's