Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Pete rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-19-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of clutch brakes...

This little ba&*^% was fun getting the front pivot nut off. 1-2 clicks on the wrench at a time squeezing between it and the backup wrench over the frame rail.

Is that the arm on your tractor ride height valve? I've been going through cab air bags rather quickly and I've been wondering if it was the valve.
No, it's the upper clutch linkage rod.

No pictures, but picked up (hopefully) my last box from Cummins for a while. When I was installing injectors, I found one with a broken screen that held up the works for a few days, but the top end is finally done, and set the overhead last night/this morning. Days are blending with this 8am-3am shift lol. Hoping that injectors are all good ('15 date codes on them, and were listed on the campaign thing that was posted here a while back), but once I go through and install the IFSM I'll at least be able to check for leaks (unless someone knows if it can be done just plugging in one of the ports on the head with a hose?)

I originally bought some reducer with intent to spray the por15, but decided to try brushing with foam brushes instead. Glad I did. I would not attempt to spray that stuff without a fresh air fed mask and full tyvek suit. Looks pretty good with rattle can rustoleum top coat, and best of all, I didn't have to clean a gun.

Several boxes of zip ties, split loom sheathing, and stainless hardware from McMaster is now here waiting for me to start piecing things back together. Seems like every time I feel triumphant in emptying a box, I get a delivery of 2 more.
It seems to be a contested topic, but my CAC had a crack and I needed a new one. I can only guess if it was OE or not (no Paccar embossing?). Anyway, after making my rounds with eyes glazing over and not really finding a clearer picture of what exactly makes one CAC design better or worse one way or another, I went with a Spectra Premium. Compared to the original, I have 3 additional bars/tubes (slightly closer spaced), otherwise, I can't see any other differences, other than cleaner looking welds. Tube fin, bar fin, welded or boxed...?

I assume the real test will be reading turbo output temp/pressure vs intake manifold temp/pressure to see how well it cools and flows?

Worst case scenario, I'll replace it after the truck has generated a $1. On the other hand, if it performs, I have lifetime warranty on it.

Either way, it's better than running one with a leak lol.

(08-22-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to be a contested topic, but my CAC had a crack and I needed a new one. I can only guess if it was OE or not (no Paccar embossing?). Anyway, after making my rounds with eyes glazing over and not really finding a clearer picture of what exactly makes one CAC design better or worse one way or another, I went with a Spectra Premium. Compared to the original, I have 3 additional bars/tubes (slightly closer spaced), otherwise, I can't see any other differences, other than cleaner looking welds. Tube fin, bar fin, welded or boxed...?

I assume the real test will be reading turbo output temp/pressure vs intake manifold temp/pressure to see how well it cools and flows?

Worst case scenario, I'll replace it after the truck has generated a $1. On the other hand, if it performs, I have lifetime warranty on it.

Either way, it's better than running one with a leak lol.

The biggest drawback for after-market CAC coolers is restriction and/or reduced ability to cool the charge air.

If there are less tubes, or the tubing is smaller internally than OE, it will likely have restrictions. If the tubing is thicker, then it is less likely to have good cooling. Either of them and you pay more than if you had gone OEM in fuel mileage and effeciency losses.

There are some really bad brands of CAC units out there being pushed onto truck owners. It does not matter if something is inherently "tougher" if it sucks the life out of your engine and that is exactly what most of them do.

some related info that someone posted ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...41#pid3441

I have seen a few that were close enough to OEM not to worry about but they were rare.
Sometimes it just feels like I'm spinning my wheels. Turbo is mocked up for now - just waiting on my special egr cooler gasket to get everything finished up on the passenger side.

Dug my IFSM out and mocked up while I debate what approach I'm going to take with it.

Watching

to get a refresh on how the system works. All of the o-rings, check valves, etc. look expensive to go through just because... Either way, my work space needs cleaned, and I'm tired.
Well, kudos to my cheapo 1 ton hoist for picking it up so I could spin it around.

Truck pulled out - we're working in sunlight today...

I tried with my Kubota, and first lift, it pulled it right up off the stands. Then the fluid warmed up and my pressure control valve opened easier... Despite tossing an oring in to shim the valve,it just wasn't going to happen. So, the good old faithful Ford 555 it is. Really not thrilled doing this with such clunky controls, but here we are.

Thankful for the women in my life. I couldn't see anything from the seat, but we got it in without a scratch.

They're actually both in this one. While my lazy ass was snapping pics, they were spinning the nuts on the rear motor mounts for me.

Since I didn't let the 14 year old out to cut wires, he's been throwing a tantrum ever since. I gave him some decals, which seems to have calmed him down.

...and now that he's out of the way, next step is going over my engine harness before it goes on.

Reference URL's