Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Pete rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That's just sexy...
Your engine looks just like one of the display units Cummins has custom built. drool
(08-26-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote: [ -> ]That's just sexy...

Gave me a woody! LOL! Where is my red paint?
looks like your on the downhill. looking good.
(08-25-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]Since I didn't let the 14 year old out to cut wires, he's been throwing a tantrum ever since. I gave him some decals, which seems to have calmed him down.

...and now that he's out of the way, next step is going over my engine harness before it goes on.

What type of sleeving are you using with your harness? It’s hard to tell from the picture but I’ve always wondered if anyone used a different material then the split plastic from factory that seems to just fall apart after a few years
(08-26-2018 )Pete379 Wrote: [ -> ]What type of sleeving are you using with your harness? It’s hard to tell from the picture but I’ve always wondered if anyone used a different material then the split plastic from factory that seems to just fall apart after a few years

It's aluminumized high temp stuff from Mcmaster. I also got a stick of the high temp wrap for the new turbo speed sensor harness (mine was melted). I'm not sure I can put it together yet because I forgot to get fabric electrical tape. I'll have to run around a few hardware stores today to see if I can find any local.

Finding dual clamp cable ties was a challenge... I bought the short ones https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Clamp-Ca...461930249, and I'm sure I won't have enough @ only a 10 pack.
New oil pan is dry and ready to go on, and I'll be just about done with engine hard parts. Have to wait for a lot of electric work to set and install the VGT actuator.

Bought a clutch from PeteParts, and of course it was damaged during shipping. Waiting for a replacement before the transmission can go in and my battery box back on, but it's not like a have a shortage of work to do in the meantime...
(08-26-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]New oil pan is dry and ready to go on, and I'll be just about done with engine hard parts. Have to wait for a lot of electric work to set and install the VGT actuator.

Bought a clutch from PeteParts, and of course it was damaged during shipping. Waiting for a replacement before the transmission can go in and my battery box back on, but it's not like a have a shortage of work to do in the meantime...

I REALLY like that you didn't paint the rocker cover and the crank breather, but left them the black plastic. Matching your oil pan black, I'm sure will look really good all together.

One of the most impressive engine detail jobs I saw, all parts were masked and painted PRIOR to assembly. You could see all of the gaskets at the mating surfaces, head gasket, rocker covers, intake...
That was a show car, and I'm sure inreal world conditions where we work the impression wouldn't last, but I think about doing that when I do mine. If life allows when that time comes, I plan to yank mine out of the frame, and have the engine and tranny color matched to the truck.
It adds a little time, and I'm sure in a few years not much of it will matter, but it's just what I tend to do when given the chance. Yeah, a lot of customers get their parts painted even though I bill flat rate. Does anyone, other than me care or even notice? Not usually lol.
Reference URL's