Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Pete rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Loosely assembled fifth wheel frame is dropped back on...

I know I said the other right spring would have to wait, but I just couldn't stop myself and it was driving me crazy. Swapping in a new front right rear spring.

Still need to pull the left rear axle and replace the hub, cam, slack adjuster and can, but will have to turn the truck around since I'm 99% sure the axle won't clear my tool box. I've been spoiled being able to raise the whole rear with the lift.
(08-28-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I love about this forum. Something as simple as a ground plug gets an explanation, along with a cause/effect of why.

Here's something to annoy my fellow OCD'ers...

I'll look at these ugly pan bolts every time I change the oil, and think back to that night at 1 am that I just didn't want to take another hour to blast and paint them lol.

Replace them with stainless button head allen bolts! :big_smile2:
(09-07-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-07-2018 )Hammerhead Wrote: [ -> ]Dirt, dust, rust gets/happens everywhere...it's just the reality of time.

Maybe it's because I only worked at 1 company, and we pulled van/reefer, but I've never seen dirt like this lol. It's a fine powdery dirt, and was as thick as the flooring on the edges. The inside of the dash and wiring is coated. Truck was leased to Schneider and had a PTO, so who knows. Maybe it was a lot of blowing out tanks in dusty lots with the fan on, windows down, and a/c pulling as much in as possible lol. Before flooring or anything else gets put in, the dash is getting torn down as much as feasibly possible so that I can take the ductwork all out and wash it.

I have to be careful, the wire labels break too easy at 10 years old...

If you really want to keep dust out, you might want to go around the firewall with some Permatex silicone or any other type sealer you like. I'm not much of a clean freak, but I can appreciate a clean cab and I noticed on my truck (2016 Pete 389) that if I'm driving along a dirt road while the fan comes on, ill see dust blowing out the vents even when I have the windows up, doors all the way shut and the controls set to in cab air only.
This goes so much faster, and I have a lot less aches and pains when I'm looking at pictures from someone else's project...

Had to pull 1/2 of my lines back out of the frame to cut huck bolts out and install the front fender brackets. I really tried to cheap out by using a post bracket, but I guess there's a good reason Hogebuilt can charge what they do for the low air leaf brackets...

Rather than fighting algae and crud in my tanks, I just swapped them out with new ones. The whatever is coating the inside of the tank would come off in sheets, and I'm pretty sure it was was plugging up the fuel pickups, causing fuel to pull from the other side and run it empty. I'll keep the non smahed old one for a spare, and maybe some day I'll figure out a good way to clean the inside properly? I'm thinking hot water with a acid cleaner and some kind of aeration would knock the stuff off.

Pulled evap and heater coils to clean and pressure test/inspect. Normally I'd replace, since they're 11 years old, but they're easy to change and didn't have much organic material other than dirt caked in them. Cleaned up the blower motors and as much ducting as I could. The main box in the dash is buried pretty good, so unless I get 3-4 days where I'm bored, it's not ALL coming apart and I'll just try to get as much cleaned as I can.

I decided yesterday was as good as any to climb around on the roof.

Pulled the cab lights and spent some time with a foam wheel and rubbing compound to remove a decade of oxidation and road grit...

Finally got the roof covered with stainless trim and installed some new LED cab lights.

I have a LOT of buffing to do to clean up the rest of the paint, but at least I can do the rest from a ladder and the ground.
So, I had a mystery oil spot under the steering gear. Motor oil (I filled the PS with ATF), but couldn't find the source. Finally, found a small wet spot on the clamp from the CAC to intake manifold...

not going to hurt a thing. just make sure you have positive pressure at the intake when the IMAP sensor is removed from its hole (and everything is back together) by using a piece of paper over the hole and making sure it is not getting sucked in.

what is the turbo position at idle?
(12-25-2018 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]not going to hurt a thing. just make sure you have positive pressure at the intake when the IMAP sensor is removed from its hole (and everything is back together) by using a piece of paper over the hole and making sure it is not getting sucked in.

what is the turbo position at idle?

It's pushing quite a bit of oil through the cac, enough to make a mess on the driver side at the intake. It's the most I've run the engine to date, as I've been trying to keep run time minimal until I can run it on the road and get the rings set. I will have to see where the turbo is with the new file. I do have some oil slobber on the exhaust side, but I kind of expected that.

54%, intake manifold has a vacuum @ idle.
Reference URL's