Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Pete rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In other news... Not sure if it's a fluke or not, but just in time for the DOT suspension blitz:

R/R/R Silver Road shock started leaking...

Thanks to Amazon Monday delivery, I put a set of Gabriel's on the rear axle while I wait for a replacement...
(05-27-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]If this was a gas engine with catalytic converters, I wouldn't feel quite so lost. This is a huge learning curve for me.

I would suggest you go by Mr. hags with it some time and have him take it for a test drive or 3. Maybe get a second opinion on things as a reference.

You put someone like Mr. Hag or myself behind the wheel that has driven hundreds of that same model truck and engine, they can tell you right away of things are right,.. or off-key, all the way form expected response, turbo lag, boost and pyro readings, instant fuel mileage readings in the dash, vibrations, shifting times, etc..

just some thoughts while enjoying my beer. lol
Next swing by, I hope to do that. I really like running the loop through that area.
What a week. While backing the trailer up a ramp to a gantry crane, just a foot or so away from the target there's a scraping sound - crap. Yep, stupid on my part, but caught the bottom of both of my (new) tanks. Didn't see any fuel pouring out, and was hoping I just bruised my ego, but no such luck. The driver side caught the plug and pulled the 1/2" bung oblong. Just enough leak to make a gradual mess - good thing there wasn't any DOT out this week? Stopped by a Loves and managed to borrow a bay to replace the plug with one wrapped up with what I was hoping was enough teflon tape to seal things up - swapping that plug in while hot fuel poured over my hands wasn't a real pleasant experience, but it got me home?

Still under a load and just enough time to squeeze in a 34 at home, picked up a new tank at 4 States and added my old one to the "when I get time to fix" pile, which seems to really be growing these days. During my own little world's chaos, a friend passed away suddenly. Somewhere along the way I quit getting wedding invitations and knowing more names in the obituaries. Life is short, and I'm trying to enjoy it even on the days that seemingly fall apart.
I was hoping #6 injector back in May was a fluke, and the rest of the 2015 dated injectors were good to go... No such luck, and no free rides with reusing any part on this truck haha.

Only found 1 injector in stock over the weekend, and will have the remaining 4 this week so hopefully I can be done with this random failure.

Trying to pinpoint the one to change today, and it's on the front bank, but I don't get a bubble to break free until right at the A mark... So would it be #2 or #3? I did a smaller diameter hose end like Rawze's video and will have the wife watch to try and see when the air starts building, but I'm almost half tempted to run it for a couple days and just do all 5 at the same time...
(08-03-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping #6 injector back in May was a fluke, and the rest of the 2015 dated injectors were good to go... No such luck, and no free rides with reusing any part on this truck haha.

make sure you have adjusted the overhead valves before the test. Otherwise you could be getting false results.

Also, if you can't find it because it is only a tiny bit leaky and very hard check,.. If it were mine, I would not even bother to change the injector. It is not likely bad enough to cost you fuel mileage yet.
(08-03-2019 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]I was hoping #6 injector back in May was a fluke, and the rest of the 2015 dated injectors were good to go... No such luck, and no free rides with reusing any part on this truck haha.

make sure you have adjusted the overhead valves before the test. Otherwise you could be getting false results.

Also, if you can't find it because it is only a tiny bit leaky and very hard check,.. If it were mine, I would not even bother to change the injector. It is not likely bad enough to cost you fuel mileage yet.

I haven't dug into an injector to see exactly how they work and won't so I don't lose a core haha, other than the fuel system video on youtube, to see what there is to the check valve - but it comes and goes, and generally runs smoother with more consistent fuel mileage while running Amsoil Injector Cleaner. Other times I'll get a valve lash sound, roughness during a pull, and drop 3-5 points in fuel economy for no reason. I'm generally not a fuel additive guy, and it's more of a bandaid on a bullet hole.

The dates and serial numbers on the old injectors were listed on the TSB discussed here a couple of years ago, but when I was putting this thing together, I couldn't justify swinging another $5k at it for new injectors at the time.
(08-03-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]...
I haven't dug into an injector to see exactly how they work and won't so I don't lose a core haha...

IF they are not bottomed out properly (hence the recommendation on adjusting the valves first), they will be slightly leaky even if it is a good injector.
I started getting a exhaust squeal when first kicking on the jakes - cold test shows leaking slip joints, but this is new?

Should this be of any concern? I haven’t tried anything other than snugging down the clamp.
Reference URL's