Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Cat rod bearings...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[attachment=4000]

Top rod bearings
Bottom rod cap bearings
Left to right 1,2,3,4,5,6

Number 3 cap bearing has some real bad scratching/flaking on it
[attachment=4001]

What surprises me most is how beat to crap and uneven these are.....
Definitely something wrong here...is this tuned? If so by whom?
Unilever's did this one. I've been updating a thread of mine over at ttr, some one there mentioned that with my blown head gasket I probably had coolant in my oil which could cause havoc on the bearings...
Coolant intrusion will certainly make the crank bearings show copper quite quickly, but ...

It looks to me like someone did a crappy job cleaning the engine and keeping the bearings clean when they were put in the last time. Cleanliness is everything. That #3 bearing was not chewed up by the crank, it was dirt contamination of some sort. When you look at it, #2 is quite bas as well.

It also looks like the bearings have rusted at some point. - Are you sure they were not rusty when they were installed? - Maybe road salt got in during a filter replacement at some point?
I was wondering this as well, probably hard to see from the pic but there are some scratches that run sideways across the bearings. Only way I could see that happening is if there was contamination.

I can chalk most up to coolant or bad mechanic but number 1 cap uneven wear and number 5 rod wear have me wondering..

All I can do is measure everything when I put it back together real good and plastiguage it and hope that the crank isn't warped at all...
What’s the engin prefix? Was the tune done recently? Just wondering if there was a odd injector trim or someone installed a larger one in just 1 hole. I think the 6nz and previous there several injectors that can be put in for more/ less fuel
Mine is a SDP.
I am not overly concerned with most of them, I'll measure when I reinstall everything but I'm still very concerned about number 1
Ohh [/i]I think I remember the pictures of this getting overhauled not to look my ago is that the same one?[i]
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's