Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: eaton 13spd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So i'm thinking i need to or might need to rebuild my 13 spd eaton transmission.

does anyone know what that costs generally? and how long it takes to for a shop to get it done?
Cresson Ridge Diesel can have it pulled, rebuilt, and back in the truck in time for you to grab a late lunch. I can't personally vouch for their work yet, since I don't even have mine in yet, but a lot of local guys use them. I think it was right around $3500 for the rebuild. Removal and installation would probably be around $1k more.

They did my driveshafts also, welded in a new tube on one that was bent .040", new slip yoke and carrier, all new u-joints and balance. Workmanship looks great on them.

I dropped them off, expecting a call in a week or 2, and they called the next morning to let me know it was all done.
(08-28-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]Cresson Ridge Diesel can have it pulled, rebuilt, and back in the truck in time for you to grab a late lunch. I can't personally vouch for their work yet, since I don't even have mine in yet, but a lot of local guys use them. I think it was right around $3500 for the rebuild. Removal and installation would probably be around $1k more.

They did my driveshafts also, welded in a new tube on one that was bent .040", new slip yoke and carrier, all new u-joints and balance. Workmanship looks great on them.

I dropped them off, expecting a call in a week or 2, and they called the next morning to let me know it was all done.

damn i wish they were a little closer to stlouis! im going to have ask around the city too see what its going to cost. but that price you have told me sounds reasonable.
I would have Just gotten a re-man from Weller. About the same price but has national warranty and likely a better, more thorough job then just about anybody. Even Mr.Hag, who is very good at re-building them says he can't even buy all the proper parts, bearings, etc. for what their exchange rate is.

I priced up all the parts to re-man my front diff when it went bad, and it was less than $200 difference to a weller re-man on exchange, so I exchanged my front diff with a re-man by them and it has given no trouble.
(08-28-2018 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]I would have Just gotten a re-man from Weller. About the same price but has national warranty and likely a better, more thorough job then just about anybody. Even Mr.Hag, who is very good at re-building them says he can't even buy all the proper parts, bearings, etc. for what their exchange rate is.

I priced up all the parts to re-man my front diff when it went bad, and it was less than $200 difference to a weller re-man on exchange, so I exchanged my front diff with a re-man by them and it has given no trouble.

I looked up weller and found one close to me! gave them a call and they said $3856 and core is $2559. now to find a shop that can do the job in a day or 2 if need be.

Hey rawze since ive already done a inframe by my self, do you recon i can do it? how hard could it be to drop the transmission?. the model transmission ive got is TRLO-18913A

i did my first load today, to see how the truck would do! and the motor was doing just great. just the transmission giving me hell today and lots of it. so im planning on getting this worked out soon!
(08-28-2018 )Evotrucker Wrote: [ -> ]...
Hey rawze since ive already done a inframe by my self, do you recon i can do it? how hard could it be to drop the transmission?.

A nice shop floor, a proper tranny jack, and someone who has done it more than a few times to give some advice so that you don't end up with it in your lap.
Why did I just have the image of him getting a lap dance from a 800lb transmission? lol

Unilevers

all jokes aside, a local mechanic here died from this.

He got complacent and would take all the bell housing bolts out and let it hang on the input shaft while he positioned the jack etc. Well he met his maker when one that came in had a broken input shaft and when he got the last bolt about 1/2 way out it tore loose and crushed him. All because he got complacent i guess.

Transmissions are heavy, dont f$%k around and stay the hell outa its path if something does go wrong.
(08-28-2018 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]A nice shop floor,

Probably the most important item on the list. With a horrible floor that has had the tiles pulled up, you'll need a wife at the rear with a ratchet hooked the the jack to get it to roll back.

(08-28-2018 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]a proper tranny jack,

Or if you like living on the edge, the cheapo Harbor Fright jack can lower it... Just keep your noggin and breakable or crushable body parts outside of the frame rails when stuff is moving.

Quote:and someone who has done it more than a few times to give some advice so that you don't end up with it in your lap.

It's a lot like a 2wd pickup, only really big and really heavy. Make sure it's strapped to the jack well before you take the last 2 bolts out of the bellhousing.

I've pulled a lot of auto transmissions, and I have to say, if you're not experienced in the process in general or properly equipped, you're probably further ahead to pay a competent shop. It's not that it's a hard job in itself, it's actually pretty simple, but a mistake can kill you, like Unilevers posted...
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's