Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Oil samples
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you guys think? I had a spike in copper and iron and aluminum.
doesn't look that bad to me outside of copper itself. 2nd oil sample has 19k miles on it and your iron matches this to show normal wear.

copper can come from a lot of different places.
(04-30-2016 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't look that bad to me outside of copper itself. 2nd oil sample has 19k miles on it and your iron matches this to show normal wear.

I was looking at coment where it says somthing about oil cooler leaching copper. But no coolant is present.
I changed that cooler last year so hopefully it's not starting to fail allready. But I thought it looked pretty good other than that.
I just replaced that compressor so I wonder if that had something to do with it.
(04-30-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2016 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't look that bad to me outside of copper itself. 2nd oil sample has 19k miles on it and your iron matches this to show normal wear.

I was looking at coment where it says somthing about oil cooler leaching copper. But no coolant is present.
I changed that cooler last year so hopefully it's not starting to fail allready. But I thought it looked pretty good other than that.
I just replaced that compressor so I wonder if that had something to do with it.
Aluminum and copper together! Check the bearings overhead at least. Once i got same report it was
(05-01-2016 )snailexpress Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote: [ -> ]

Aluminum and copper together! Check the bearings overhead at least. Once i got same report it was
Dang that looks pretty bad.
I'll inspect the cams this week. They looked good in February when I did injectors. Thanks.
Bearing layers
Hopefully not yours case.
If you're still driving it, take note of any change in cranking speed and any rough running.
Runs great. Although it is a spike in copper and aluminum, its not very much.
You guys got me thinking and with 958,000 miles I think it's time for new cam bushings.
I will tear it down this week and see how they look.
I think my truck (the guinea pig) will like it and I need the education. Lol.
(05-01-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote: [ -> ]Runs great. Although it is a spike in copper and aluminum, its not very much.
You guys got me thinking and with 958,000 miles I think it's time for new cam bushings.
I will tear it down this week and see how they look.
I think my truck (the guinea pig) will like it and I need the education. Lol.

At 900k + miles on it,.... If the cam bushings are gone,.. more than likely the rest of the head is going that way too. Pull the intake manifold off and look at the valve stems on a few cylinders to see if they are seeping oil. As well,.. check the clearance of the detent position of all the engine brake rockers AFTER you have set them all to 0.276 like the book specifies. If any are less than about 0.030" or so movement between the detent position and the valve,.. the head is worn out.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's