Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Droping the transmission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would take it to a shop. I have seen guys wrestle these things out in the oil field in a dirt parking lot. No thanks. Let the pros handle this one. But if you must, I would have at least the proper jack and straps to secure it to the jack. I saw my 18 speed sitting on the shop floor the other day, and there ain't no way in hell I would attempt removing it.
That jack is too narrow in my book and may not lift high enough if you have the truck on blocks or jack stands. A good truck trans jack will be much wider and the plate should be about 12x18 inches.

Rawze is right about the Chinese metal. I would be afraid of it buckling under stress.

You might search Craigslist for a good used one for the same price.
I'm all for DIY but only if I can do it safely and don't have to do it twice.
Well these guys are changing one in the TA parking lot today.I left around 10am this morning and they started after I left.I stopped back by around 4pm and they had it out and getting ready to go back with it.
Hey, you do what ya gotta do! Nobody said it can't be done!
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I find those situations most hazardous times because emotions tend to override logic.
Always good to step back and think it through.

I just don't want anybody to get hurt thinking you can DIY and just wing it on something I said or DIDN'T say! It's really about " risk vs. reward ". If you wind up out of work for 3-4 months, is that profitable? A broken wrist or smashed hand can happen with one wrong move.

The old saying " the right tool for the right job" didn't stick for no reason.
(05-05-2016 )in2trux Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, you do what ya gotta do! Nobody said it can't be done!
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I find those situations most hazardous times because emotions tend to override logic.
Always good to step back and think it through.

I just don't want anybody to get hurt thinking you can DIY and just wing it on something I said or DIDN'T say! It's really about " risk vs. reward ". If you wind up out of work for 3-4 months, is that profitable? A broken wrist or smashed hand can happen with one wrong move.

The old saying " the right tool for the right job" didn't stick for no reason.

I wish they was more honest repair shops around. I went through the samething Afew months ago. I was looking at doing it myself I was looking at buying a jack that I may use 1 time at a cost of a thousand dollars. So I decided on getting a shop to do it. I got a quote of 3500 to 4000 to pull transmission and rebuild it plus what ever the cost of the clutch is. When I went to pick it up a week pasted when was supposed to be ready the bill was 7500 dollars. If I had it to do over I would have bought the Jack and did it myself. I could have bought the Jack pulled trans and took it to fuller got one of there rebuilds with a nationwide warranty for acouple thousand less than what I paid. With that being said there are people that shouldn't be driving a truck much less working on them. I think a good Jack and a concrete pad or floor is mandatory. The reason I posted the pic was more out of humor than debate I had just seen the post in the last day or so and seeing someone changing a trans in a parking lot is not a everyday thing. That is only the second time I have seen it in around 25 years of driving.
Let me put it this way . Any tool , even the best tool , in the hands of a man good for nothing , is just a piece of metal ! The right tools makes the job easier for a man that know what he's doing! In 99% he can get it done properly even without the right tool !
(05-05-2016 )Wiseman Wrote: [ -> ]Let me put it this way . Any tool , even the best tool , in the hands of a man good for nothing , is just a peace of metal ! The right tools makes the job easier for man that know what he's doing! In 99% he can get it done properly even without the right tool !

Agreed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's