Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: New Truck - X15 Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So I’m running out of warranty on my 2014 Peterbilt 579 in a couple weeks, and the aftertreatment has been non stop headaches for the past 4 months. One CEL after the other. It’s still a good truck, has less than 500,000 miles on it and the engine itself appears to be in good shape after recent leakdown/compression tests. 500hp MX13, by the way.

I do not see owning this truck off warranty as a good option unless I de-mandate it. I’m hesitant to do that either though simply because it’s a MX rather than an ISX and I’m concerned about who’s going to work on it after it’s been tampered with. My dealer flat out told me that they can do general servicing on it but it’s never going to get hooked up to their computer for diagnosing/troubleshooting if I choose to do this.

That being said, my other option is to just trade it in on a new one. I can take one with a 565, or I can order one with a 500 Efficiency series.

My question is, what would you guys suggest? Is the efficiency a better engine than the performance series? Can the 565 be as efficient as the 500 if it’s driven nicely, or turned down to 505?

Application will be hauling light van loads (courier freight in the kootenays, so lots of twisty and steep mountain driving. The MX gets about 6.5mpg doing this work snd I don’t want to see it get any worse, within reason. I’ve gotten the same numbers even using long hood Petes with 625 Acert’s doing this run. The only trucks that have done better were my 03 Western Star with a 12.7 Detroit and a POS Maxxfart that I had to rent one night.
Most likely lose mpg with perf series it runs higher compression and has a few different parts
I would normally have assumed so too but it’s been my experience that driving a 600+hp truck as if it were a 500hp truck has resulted in no fuel mileage penalty, in this application anyways. With the Maxxforce that I tried being the exception. My Detroit was a hot one and pulled almost as good as the big Cat’s.
I don't think I would want to own a truck that I could not work on myself and do my own thing to. There is a lot less long term profit in it.
That’s not an option with this truck. The truck starts and stops a dedicated run about 90 miles east of me and it goes the other direction. I have a good reliable driver in it and I might see the truck twice a year. My dedicated run goes out 5 nights a week so all servicing and repairs are done in the town that it’s based out of. Being hands-on with it is not an option for me. It’s not ideal but it’s profitable so everybody wins. I’m running a different truck myself full time so working on that other truck is not something I can do.

If I were operating that truck myself, from home, I’d be more inclined to de-mandate it and do my own troubleshooting/repairs on it going forward.

Unilevers

if thats the way your going to run it, brand new truck with a x15 run it until warranty is up and get rid of it for another new one. Go for a x15 because parts are available and your not tied to certain dealers like with the MX.

I personally dont think you would like a small power x15 for any mountain travel as it would work fairly hard. Get a 565, turn it down to 525/1850 and turn all the babysitters on and limit the speed limits and send it out.

its a way of doing business, but its not for everyone.
That’s what I’m leaning towards.. Although I find the 500 MX has plenty of power for this application, geared with 3.91’s. The truck spends most of it’s time under 60mph. I like the idea of the 565 for resale but you can get a 6yr/600,000 mile warranty on the Efficiency series. It would let me run the truck for 5 years under full warranty otherwise the 565 would mile out on me after 4. Either way the truck would be hevy spec with 3.7 or 3.9 gears.

It breaks my heart a little to kick my 579 to the curb as it’s still in great shape, has lots of life left in it, it’s almost paid for and the resale value on it is a slap in the face.

Unilevers

your not going to want to run that isx for 600,000 miles. you would need to get rid of it around the 400,000-500,000 mile mark if your playing the new truck warranty game. the egr and emmisions will have mostly eaten it alive by 600,000.
Good point, I hadn’t thought of that. The gremlins in mine have become a real issue at around the 430,000 mile mark. I would not want to keep dealing with it for another year and a half. It’s a big source of stress as the truck has to go every night.

My 3rd option is to just park it and try to sell it privately, and go with a long term rental. I’ve done it before for over a year until I bought a second truck and it actually worked out to be $500 a month cheaper than what this 579 has cost me since I bought it. If I sold this truck tomorrow the equity I’d take out of it would just make that a wash.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's