Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Big rig questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I am someone who loves diesels but all I have currently is a Cummings 12v, dmax 6.6 and a jetta diesel. I am familiar with them I do all my work and just rebuild the 12v.

I am shopping for a 5th wheel and all my trucks are older. They will be at the limit or over with what the new 5th wheels demand. I am looking at the idea of getting a used big rig to pull my 5th wheel. I know it’s over kill but it’s not going to task the engine it should run a long time and its more comfortable for my family. I also find the prices are cheaper than buying a new or even used (few years old low millage) truck.

What are your thoughts, what would you guys go with? Any issues you see? After reading a lot and watching Rawzes video my big concern and question is how to get a good used truck and what is a good trusted place or do you guys have a place on the form to sell trucks to guys like me?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Rob
Maybe something like this? Freightliner C7 8+mpg
[attachment=4705]
I am really thinking class 8 full size. The one in the pic and those like it are really costly.
If you went a class 7 or 8 i would go midroof daycab. A full sleeper truck can be a pain in some rv parks.

PS. Go pre emissions if you're doing just rving. I don't think the emission laws apply to rv vehicles, or aren't as strict anyway.
I am thinking 09 if I can. What engine would you all recommend. What brand truck. I was looking at a Volvo only for the auto trans. I am not against manual but my wife would not be driving if it was not auto.
(03-06-2019 )Robdean26 Wrote: [ -> ]I am thinking 09 if I can. What engine would you all recommend. What brand truck. I was looking at a Volvo only for the auto trans. I am not against manual but my wife would not be driving if it was not auto.

Do you both have a class A CDL ?
(03-06-2019 )Robdean26 Wrote: [ -> ]I am really thinking class 8 full size. The one in the pic and those like it are really costly.
You said comfortable for your family. The truck pictured has air suspension rides better than a 350 and better turning radius.
Drop the trailer and drive around town. Its still big but not class 8 big.
Everything is expensive. You'll pay one way or another.
If you go a full size tractor truck you're going to need a class A CDL to operate it. Also you'll have to probably jump over some hurdles to change the registered weight on the truck. that will be all according to what state you live in and their registration laws. In Pennsylvania you have to take it to a certified mechanic and have them downgrade it to closer to the weight you will be pulling with it. I've seen plenty of guys take single axle trucks and do exactly what you want to do. A lot of private people put not for hire on the side of their rigs to pull their horse trailers from farm to farm or show to show. But you have to be sure you jump through the right paperwork and legal hoops or you will get fined for not having everything properly registered.
In Florida registering a class 8 as a rv is simple. With standard rv plates theres no dot hassles, just the class a license requirement
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's