Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Pushing coolant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday when I got to Tulsa to deliver I could smell coolant. I opened the hood and seen it pushed some out of the overflow. I went home empty (about 100 miles) waiting to load today. I refilled it and washed everything off. I ran down to load today and couldn't smell anything. On the way back home it pushed out coolant again pulling the hills. Sitting there idling I ran a hose to a water bottle and it blows 1 bubble about every 4 or 5 seconds. When I shut the truck off it sounds and looks like a kid blowing bubbles through a straw in a cup for a few seconds.

It's a 871 that was demandated almost 2 yrs ago by Mr Hagg. It has around 400k on a overhaul. Never uses oil or lost any coolant before unless there was a leak. I have been noticing that the oil temp has been running a little higher than normal. Use to run close to 210° now running 215°-220°
You most likely have a blown head gasket
Mine did exactly that for almost a year before number 5 fell and it pushed 5 gallons in a day. I had to modify the cap to keep it from pressurizing the system until i got it home for an inframe.
That's what I'm afraid of. I was hoping someone had a simple fix
No simple fix unfortunately. You can run it as a zero pressure sytem and keep the boost as low as you can and you might get a few months before the liner drops completely or a few days...its impossible to tell but I'd go ahead and make an appt with Mr Hagg in Atlanta if it was mine and i could afford another inframe...
Truck sat for 40+ hrs over the weekend when I opened the cap to top it off before I started it this morning it still had a lot of pressure in the tank. I would have thought that it would have all been gone with a bad head gasket. But I have thought wrong before. I was just shocked that it had that much pressure still
Just a thought , reading your last post .
How about faulty air compressor head + air tanks check valves ?
Check the air compressor, odds are though, it is the head gasket... More than likely, you will need an in frame... It is time... Welcome to the world of government mandated motors... Same as your health insurance. I have nothing good to say.
(04-28-2019 )Rockycoon75 Wrote: [ -> ]Truck sat for 40+ hrs over the weekend when I opened the cap to top it off before I started it this morning it still had a lot of pressure in the tank. I would have thought that it would have all been gone with a bad head gasket. But I have thought wrong before. I was just shocked that it had that much pressure still

that does not tell you squat.

That thing could sit pressurized for a week and it oozing coolant into the crank case and never see it as a pressure loss. Coolant is only 15 psi normally,.. cylinders have upwards of 15,000+ psi in them and can lift a weakened place in head or liner or gasket. - Only correct test is to pressure it up with 20 psi to the coolant system with the oil pan off it and let it sit over night. - bar engine next day slowly and listen for few drops of gurgling around piston rings, and give good inspection for coolant seepage around liners, bottom of crank, etc. etc. Also check if there is seepage from compressor, and check turbo drain line too while the pan is off.

then also not to forget to check back side of EGR cooler and doser injector for leakage, and for external leaks while your at it.
Reference URL's