Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 2010 Lonestar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well got 3.36s replacement done today with 3.70s I can actually use 13th now. 65-1500rpm 70-1600rpm 75-1700rpm. Also had to replace front axles due to teeth on them being razor blades. And 1 ujoint that was hammered out but couldn't tell while installed.

Also new AC lines on apu as one burst on Monday.

New drag link

New windshield

Cleaned out as much dirt and debris out of radiator/cac/condenser as I could

Now to grab laptop tomorrow reprogram speedometer and download new turbo table into ecm and see if we can improve fuel economy next week.

Will try to post up thoughts on new gears next week had a 30mph tailwind pushing me to the house cant reliabily say how they effect empty pulling.
LOL! Welcome to the world of the EPA truck.
Any idea what caused the axle splines to do that? I'd like to see it if you have pics. I've done 100's of rear swaps and axle shafts are rarely messed up. I've never seen one with the splines worn down except when the rear comes apart and something gouges in to it.

What would cause that? The axle floats in the splines. Im thinking it would have to be some serious tire studder or maybe mismatched tire height between the 2 axles (front and rear) causing the axle to ride against the carrier all the time?

I'm sure you'll find you like that gearing while working. You may find it a bit taxing when empty. Especially if you like to fly when empty. That RPM range will feel like it's holding you back a bit @ 70+. Just use that feeling to slow yourself down to 60-62'ish all the time and work the hell out of OOG and collect the fuel savings.
Yea, let us know how it pulls. I am curious myself.
And how much does it cost ?
(05-18-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]Any idea what caused the axle splines to do that?

Many reasons like you described. Some kind of chatter or neglect.

I have seen them wear down because no one bothers to re-torque the hub bearings/nuts regularly like they are supposed to (every 250k miles max interval). They end up work/chatter constantly in and out against the receiver. Usually shows up as inner tire edge wear too.

Could also be that some complete moron was running 50-WT (or lower) in the rears and tramnny instead of 80/90 wt oil too. I have seen some mega-fleets do this in attempts to shave fuel costs (though it rarely really helps) at the expense of the components.
Not sure what was in it for Oil but rears had 1.1mil miles with me only putting about 80k of them on. each spline was basically shapped like a "V".

My rearends are rockwell model RS404 and both were brand spanking new at $1600 for the rear rear and $2400 for the front rear price difference due to also the power divider section is new.

So $4,000 for pumpkins and $270 for 2 used axles with visibly no wear

iam going to estimate probably another 1000-1500 in labor/gaskets/synthetic gear lube.

my mechanic did the rear end work and charging AC with their brand new fancy ac machine and I did the rest and helped the windshield guy. let me say the stainless visor the lonstars have is a royal PIA to take off when your standing smack center on the engine lol.
I put 75w90 in my rears and 50 wt in my transmission. The full synthetic type. Perhaps I should put 75w90 in the tranny?
(05-18-2019 )TruckerNick Wrote: [ -> ]...
Perhaps I should put 75w90 in the tranny?

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid34000
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's