Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Hypothetical question about a fan clutch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well sad to say my fan clutch went out on the road today, she lasted 733333 miles, not bad I guess. However no shop has time to get me in within the next couple days, I am curious if I tied it up real good with some good ole boy scout knots and ingenuity, is it possible to make it home? It's only 2000 miles and on the flats its staying below 180, I know itll kill my mileage but I'm thinking it beats sitting in the truck and loosing my week. Thanks for those that reply.
I would say that is a high risk. If something lets loose and it takes out a belt, you could be looking at a lot of damage to front structure and radiator. In any event, if you decide to do something like that to get you off the side of the road, you should also likely keep rpm low and pray like hell. lol

Could you not remove the air off it and smack it with hammer a bit to get it to engage one last time? - or did it burn out the clutch pads?

- Seems it would be cheaper/safer to go buy some tools and replace it in the nearest truck stop parking lot. Maybe using uber to get around?.
Well it's a Borg Werner, I cant find a lock out hole but there is some play in it, I checked the solenoid it's got air going to it with key switch on, unless the solenoid is stuck, I'll do some more tests in the mornin check the switch and make sure it's working but I do know it never kicked in going up 17 luckily I wasnt heavy
I'll be calling to find the closest part, hopefully it's not to far
Unplug solenoid. If it is air to disengage that will make it want to turn on. Maybe give it a wack. Start there
Unplugged it gave it a few good whacks but still free spins, starting to do the part hunt now, hopefully it's not too bad to change.
If it is a kysor model and the clutches are worn out you can remove the steel retainers on the back and flip them around. It will allow the clutches to grab a little while longer while you head home.

Edit: i should point out that there are 2 types one they call extended service and normal service. The extended one has clutch retaining plates with a step on the backside that you can flip to get a little more life. The standard is flat on the back side. Just to clarify.
It is the kysor style, I have a new one but I guess a scared the gremlin away, right when I was fixing to take the allen bolts off I found I didnt have the right socket. So I put it all back together and started rolling to the next place I can get the 5/16 allen and the darn thing started working again. It still spins a little engaged but I have the stuff to replace it now. Thanks everyone for the input
I have a question so I demandated last week but engine when I start it for the first second is as quite as it was before I demandated then the tapping kicks in as if it needs the overhead ran but it was done at time of demandate 2014 kw cummins 2350 demandate done in Ga you guys know where. Had a mechanic tell me its needs to have over head ran again, so does it get a lot nosier after demandate. Truck runs great no other issues. sorry about asking in your question still haven't figured out how to start my own ?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's