Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Dropping the oil pan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Have an oil change due shortly, last time oil was changed, had a fair amount in my estimation of sludge dribbling out of the pan, after oil had drained. I'd like to drop the pan and clean it at next oil change. When I have the pan off, what should I be looking for at the bottom of the engine as far as premature wear or other signs of problems?
Definitely pressurize your cooling system and let it sit overnight, then bar the engine over and look very very closely for coolant.
what make model truck/engine? year? mileage?
ied have to go search but i think he has an ISM in something like a dumpster hauler truck if i remember what he said correctly
The ISM is a sludgy engine, that's just how they are. Don't waste your time cleaning the pan out - Just keep changing the oil on time and use quality filters.
Should have put the info in the first post...duh...

It's a isc, about 98k miles, 2008 Pete 335, hauls dumpsters, has the dpf only, injection on exhaust.

If an isc is like the ism, I'll take your word for it. I don't need more to do at the moment, but I do like putting eyeballs on internals as much as I can for my own knowledge and reassurance.
(06-05-2019 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely pressurize your cooling system and let it sit overnight, then bar the engine over and look very very closely for coolant.

say when u pressurize the system. what exactly are you looking for and where are you looking exactly? I'm thinking it is going to take some looking around as it is dark underneath the engine.

I am going to think you are seeing if the head gasket is blown and coolant is leaking thru the gasket into the cylinder chambers?

And say you see some coolant. Does that mean you need to do an inframe then?
(06-06-2019 )hookliftpete Wrote: [ -> ]Should have put the info in the first post...duh...

It's a isc, about 98k miles, 2008 Pete 335, hauls dumpsters, has the dpf only, injection on exhaust.

If an isc is like the ism, I'll take your word for it. I don't need more to do at the moment, but I do like putting eyeballs on internals as much as I can for my own knowledge and reassurance.

it sounds to me like you simply not changing the oil often enough. Change the oil based on fuel mileage (or consumption) with it and not at some set interval of hours or miles. - This will keep the soot from building up so badly that it takes out the cams and other things.

Also, I would not own a modern diesel engine of any type or brand that has EGR active in it without having some sort of bypass filtration system on it for collecting soot out of the oil. - its just plain dumb not to have one of these systems on your engine, as that soot buildup is no different than sand in that oil. There's no way in hell I would let any of my car engines, nonetheless my work truck that I have to make a living with get 'sludgy' inside it. That is just a shame. - I don't own a single piece of equipment with black oil in it and never have since even my first car I ever owned,.. can't stand to see it.

I am sure the scale of change intervals is different for the ISC, but for the ISX (its bigger brother), here are the numbers...

for the ISX....
Rawze Wrote:If your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...617#pid617
Been too busy to get back these last few days.

In the 18 months having owned the truck, the oil is changed every 10k, sometimes is a couple hundred over if I can't get a few hours to change it, but not much.

Previous owner said they changed it at 10k, who knows though.

Cummins lit says (online pdf I'd found) was 15k for a change.

I'm getting 7-8mpg, so I'd be, on your chart 15-18k between changes.

So bypass filtration should help, but I'm still thinking dropping the pan to clean the sludge would jump start the process to higher oil filtration? Would a couple of short oil changes do the same for less frustration?

If I do drop the pan, back to first question, what is it that I should be looking for on engine internals, as far as normal vs irregular wear, etc?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's