Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Truck keeps dying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My truck dies after a day or two of sitting. Is it bad batteries or a connection. What’s the best way to find out
Not even close to enough information. What make/ model truck, what engine, miles, etc. Was any work recently done to the truck? When it dies does it start again right away? If not What do you have to do to get it started?
Does it have a fridge? are you leaving it on? most OEM fridges will kill truck batteries over the weekend. anything else plugged into truck when its not being driven that can be drawing power? most newer trucks have "load shedding" and it turns off most but not all of the plug ins and things that draw power to protect the batteries.
Volvo vnl 670. It may be the inverter but I turn it off. That’s the only thing plugged up. I do see some corrosion on the battery wiring that maybe a factor also.
When u say it dies. Do u mean the engine dies after idling a cpl days or the batteries are dead after sitting over the weekend? If batteries, inverters will kill them over a few days if not disconnected
I find the best way to find a drain on a truck is with a thermal camera .. I look for hot spots. If you dont have access to that. Take off negative cable and I use a volt meter and put it inline from neg bat to neg cable. Then start unplugging stuff until it goes to nothing. With a good draw it will show 12v once its gets down to like 4 or so then that may be your truck normal... Check alternator as those tend to have regulators stick and cause it. You will know cause alternator will be warm after setting over night.
(06-28-2019 )Mr Hagg Wrote: [ -> ]I find the best way to find a drain on a truck is with a thermal camera .. I look for hot spots. If you dont have access to that. Take off negative cable and I use a volt meter and put it inline from neg bat to neg cable. Then start unplugging stuff until it goes to nothing. With a good draw it will show 12v once its gets down to like 4 or so then that may be your truck normal... Check alternator as those tend to have regulators stick and cause it. You will know cause alternator will be warm after setting over night.

very well said. here is also some fine examples...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid11663
Reference URL's