Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 870 flywheel housing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Looking like I'll be doing a clutch soon on my 870. Is the flywheel housing gasket on the 870 as problematic as the 871? In other words would I be stupid not to replace it while i'm in there?
It's as prone to failure as any other ISX is. I'd do it for peace of mind.
I figured as much, just thought I would check.Why exactly is there a giant hole in the block behind the flywheel housing anyway? Dumb design isn't it?
(08-06-2019 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]I figured as much, just thought I would check.Why exactly is there a giant hole in the block behind the flywheel housing anyway? Dumb design isn't it?

there is one that goes across the front too. lol
Horrible design to use an alloy housing as an engine mount and oil rifle with only the support of a thin rubberized gasket. It would all come down to manufacturing cost.
I was reading Hammerheads thread regarding this job, his housing turned out to be all cracked to sh!t. Is that a common thing as well?
They often appear cracked but I've only every come across 1 with an actual crack in it. It will probably show some fretting which can be tidied up a little bit with light emery paper if you don't have time to get it machined flat.
(08-06-2019 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]I was reading Hammerheads thread regarding this job, his housing turned out to be all cracked to sh!t. Is that a common thing as well?

Don't forget, I work my engine a lot harder than most. I have been further back into mines, and stuck in stuff would make all but the oilfield guys cry. I'm sure Brock could make me cry.

I'd have to look way back in my thread about it, but the castings had 2 different countries of origin marked in them. One was visually better than the other.
IF yours is cracked, remember that it's not typically a consumable part, so used is a cost effective viable option.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's