Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Noisy Air compressor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looks to be factory compressor with 415,000 miles.
While building air pressure compressor makes lots of noise. Air dryer is back by front drive axle can hear the noise in the air dryer. Best way I know to describe it is that you can hear each puff of air at the air dryer. Real rapid tapping kind of noise.

Am I the only one hearing it?
my brand new one does it
Is it a ticking sound or a knocking sound? Make and model of truck, year?
(08-12-2019 )Mattman Wrote: [ -> ]Looks to be factory compressor with 415,000 miles.
While building air pressure compressor makes lots of noise. Air dryer is back by front drive axle can hear the noise in the air dryer. Best way I know to describe it is that you can hear each puff of air at the air dryer. Real rapid tapping kind of noise.

Am I the only one hearing it?

Mine makes the tapping sound but the compressor itself isn't making noise.
2015 Kenworth T660.

Builds air okay. Air tanks are dry didn't see any oil come out of them.

Maybe a valve opening and closing when it is making air.
When is the last time you replaced the air dryer cartridge? Or the air dryer itself, they do need to be replaced, or rebuilt at so many miles.
(08-13-2019 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]When is the last time you replaced the air dryer cartridge? Or the air dryer itself, they do need to be replaced, or rebuilt at so many miles.

Doubt anything has been done to the air dryer itself. Was planning to replace the air dryer filter. Will see if that makes a difference.
I bet that is your issue, those need to be replaced a couple of times a year. When I bought my truck, the kid at the TA had to use a hammer to beat it off, it looked like the original from the factory. I recently replaced the entire air dryer, cheaper than fixing at this point. I installed a reman from FleetPride, under $200 with the cartridge. I had the kid at the TA install the air dryer as they have a pit. This was after installing a new air compressor in the driveway. Then the fun began... LOL!
Pulled air supply line coming from compressor and going into air dryer. The noise is coming from the compressor. Maybe the check valve on compressor head opening and closing?

Will report back when I figure it out.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's