Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Cummins recon engines.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

Looking to see what you guys think about cummins recon engines. Got my eye on a 2015 freightliner w/ 323,000 mi's on it. Seller( a national truck rental agency) dropped a recon 2350 motor into it back in january at around 300k mi's. It's clean as a whistle and has only been ran for about 20k mi's. This engine was bought from cummins as a recon. completely painted looks like new.

What do you think? Also, Do you think that it will hurt it's resale value? Much like a car with a salvaged tittle?
Well, if you look on The Truck Paper, you will find many low mile trucks with fresh in frames and recon motors. The one thing I would be concerned with, is if the liner heights were set correctly. I have heard here on Rawze.com, that some of these recon motors had the liners thrown in, never cutting the ledges in the block. If you get one of those, you are looking at an in frame in short order. Only way to check is to remove the head and check the protrusion of each liner, doubtful the seller will allow that. Personally, with the crap recon parts I have been hearing about from Cummins, I would seriously consider walking away, unless there is some sort of warranty that allows you to fix the motor properly at the shop of your choosing. Very few dealers or even Cummins shops assemble these motors properly, like Mr Hagg does.

I was a victim of one of these shops, do not be one.
I bought a truck like your talking about. Thinking that I was doing good. 150k later it dropped a valve. Cost 30k to fix. Remain head on a recon engine. I will never do that again. Unless the money is right. Don’t pay any extra for the truck because of a recon engine.
There was a thread on here about Mr. Hagg (if I remember right) getting a recon motor and ended up tearing it all down and re doing it because liner heights were all different and other problems.
My trucks got a recon 2350 in it. 30k on it and about 15 since demandate. So far so good.
(09-11-2019 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]There was a thread on here about Mr. Hagg (if I remember right) getting a recon motor and ended up tearing it all down and re doing it because liner heights were all different and other problems.
We bought a new short block due to customers had a rod slung through the side. When I open up plastic you could see where cummins had made marks of what liners was and it was all across the board. and this was a brand new block so no reason it wasnt right. So I pulled crankshaft, pistons and liners back out and had Rawze do the counter bore....
(09-11-2019 )Mr Hagg Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2019 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]There was a thread on here about Mr. Hagg (if I remember right) getting a recon motor and ended up tearing it all down and re doing it because liner heights were all different and other problems.
We bought a new short block due to customers had a rod slung through the side. When I open up plastic you could see where cummins had made marks of what liners was and it was all across the board. and this was a brand new block so no reason it wasnt right. So I pulled crankshaft, pistons and liners back out and had Rawze do the counter bore....

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I just read an old post on here about an hour ago that educated me on the issue that the engine has once the fuel pump fails. Consequently, pulled the plug on the deal with the finance guy.

I'm now back in the market for a truck with a cm871. It's what I had in my first truck, It's what I cut my teeth with, So I'm going to do it again.

BTW I heard alot about you. Where is your shop located? If I'm going to breakdown, I want to be in your neighborhood...lol!
Griffin GA
We put a reman 871 in a truck made it 471 miles threw the #1 piston through the side of the swamper side block. Cummins ate it no questions asked. Best anyone can tell 1 wrist pin keeper ring was never installed, wrist pin worked out and the rest is history. Got the block pieces staring at me currently as a reminder.
Reference URL's