Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Fuel pump question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Took my 2013 ISX15 into shop to try figure out the fueling problem I've been seeing under load.
They hooked up the computer and did some testing...here's what they wrote on the invoice:
---------------------
Customer brought in because we're getting a low pressure fuel fault and loss of power at high load. Also seeing pyro temps climb when it happens.

Brought unit inside, checked fault codes, found many low fuel rail pressure faults.
Took unit for a road test, found the fuel rail pressure to drop 6000psi at full
load, brought back to shop, checked fuel filters, they are newer, so changed the
rail pressure relief valve. Took unit for a road test again, found the rail
pressure to still drop, checked for any suction side restrictions or leaks, no
problems there, checked the inline priming pump, it works normal, the high pressure
pump needs to come apart.
-----------------------

So I'm still seeing the same problem after them installing a $500 relief valve for no reason....and 9 hours of shop time for troubleshooting.
They're thinking high pressure pump and lift pump should be changed. He suggested that the lift pump might be getting weak which after awhile caused the high pressure pump to have issues.
The fuel pump is the updated pump with steel plungers but the pump itself is probably original (800,000km/480 miles) so I guess it could be getting weak.
My question is:. I have another guy that I'd like to do it but he doesn't have the Cummins software. Do you need the software to change the fuel pump (for timing etc)?
Thanks
RUN LIKE ALL GODDAMN HELL AWAY FROM THOSE COMPLETE f%-TARD MORONS!!!!!!!! - THEY OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO WORK ON AN ISX COMMON RAIL SYSTEM WORHT A DAMN!!!

WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!

--A) everyone going into PANIC MODE!!! because of the well known fuel pump of complete engine destruction scenario. the symptoms you describe ARE EXACTLY THOSE SYMPTOMS OF THE FUEL PUMP FAILING AND DESTROYING THE ENTIRE ENGINE FOR EVERY MILE IT RUNS LIKE THAT!!!. -- The fuel pump should have come apart AND THOROUGHLY INSPECTED FIRST THING RIGHT OFF THE BAT BEFORE DRIVING IT ONE MORE DAMN MILE!!!.

--B) - If the pump is in fact OK ... _> WAS TO DO A PROPER LEAK-DOWN TEST... instead of blind guessing like a bunch of goddamn retards!!! -->

--C) -- FIND OUT WHAT IS CAUSING THE RAIL LEAK TEST TO FAIL and follow proper prrocedures!!! INSTEAD OF THROWING PARTS AT IT LIKE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!!!

RUN LIKE HELL AND FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO WORK ON A GODDAMN ISX PROPERLY!!!!!!
As someone that’s been down this road. As well as Rawze sending me that very same link hhow55 just sent you. I was able to save my engine. Do not drive it anymore and take Rawze’s advice. Get that pump taken apart and go from there. Mine was also updated but it doesn’t matter. Big problems.
These 2250, 2350 and X15 motors should come with a billboard sized sign on the side of the motor warning of these fuel pumps and the catastrophic consequences of not paying close attention to the mileage and or age of the fuel pump, along with the warning sign, the low fuel pressure code.

I have told a few owners of these motors of the issue, they have to service the pump, it is a maintenance item. Their eyes glaze over, tell me there is no problems with these pumps, as Cummins would have notified them if there were... They walk away like I have the plague.
(10-01-2019 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]These 2250, 2350 and X15 motors should come with a billboard sized sign on the side of the motor warning of these fuel pumps and the catastrophic consequences of not paying close attention to the mileage and or age of the fuel pump, along with the warning sign, the low fuel pressure code.

I have told a few owners of these motors of the issue, they have to service the pump, it is a maintenance item. Their eyes glaze over, tell me there is no problems with these pumps, as Cummins would have notified them if there were... They walk away like I have the plague.

Funny. I have told few at the company I work for the same thing. They have same engines. And seen the bs I went through and always kept asking how truck was coming along. They know what I went through and yet ignore everything I try to tell them about the pump. Also same story with de-mandating engine. They don’t care that pump is a time bomb or the don’t believe there’s will do it. And Oo I know a guy or this guy has done a bunch yada yada. So screw it. I quit telling them. O well. I tried to help them. I also tell them I have insite if you ever want to check codes we’ll hook up and see what’s up. But nope. They run to stealersh*t every time. I’m done trying lol.
Same experience here too... I now keep my mouth shut unless they ask, but why would they? LOL!
Thanks for the info fellas. Kenworth quoted me about $5000 for the head, body, and lift pump.
I just got my mechanic friend to take a look. Usually he does most of my work but the place he works at maintains their fleet and won't buy him the InSite program...so I had to go to another shop for the "troubleshooting"".
Anyway, he gets better pricing than I can...so he's getting a price in the morning. In the meantime, he's gonna pull the head off and take a peak inside.
(10-01-2019 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]RUN LIKE ALL GODDAMN HELL AWAY FROM THOSE COMPLETE f%-TARD MORONS!!!!!!!! - THEY OBVIOUSLY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO WORK ON AN ISX COMMON RAIL SYSTEM WORHT A DAMN!!!

WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!

--A) everyone going into PANIC MODE!!! because of the well known fuel pump of complete engine destruction scenario. the symptoms you describe ARE EXACTLY THOSE SYMPTOMS OF THE FUEL PUMP FAILING AND DESTROYING THE ENTIRE ENGINE FOR EVERY MILE IT RUNS LIKE THAT!!!. -- The fuel pump should have come apart AND THOROUGHLY INSPECTED FIRST THING RIGHT OFF THE BAT BEFORE DRIVING IT ONE MORE DAMN MILE!!!.

--B) - If the pump is in fact OK ... _> WAS TO DO A PROPER LEAK-DOWN TEST... instead of blind guessing like a bunch of goddamn retards!!! -->

--C) -- FIND OUT WHAT IS CAUSING THE RAIL LEAK TEST TO FAIL and follow proper prrocedures!!! INSTEAD OF THROWING PARTS AT IT LIKE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!!!

RUN LIKE HELL AND FIND SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO WORK ON A GODDAMN ISX PROPERLY!!!!!!

My mechanic friend said the same thing when I showed him what they did at the other shop. He shook his head and said..."why didn't they pull the pump and check it out first? Instead of supposedly spending hours and hours of time on other stuff. Woulda made more sense to check that first after you told me how it's acting."
Needless to say....I'm done with the other shop. This isn't the first time they've pissed me off.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's