Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Volvo d13 cups/injectors issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
New member here so if I do something wrong plz just tell me and I will amend my ways muy pronto!
Ok so just looking for info if there is a permanent solution to the injector cups issue on the Volvo d13. I don't see a search function so I'm asking here.
Had cups/injectors replaced about 5, 6 mos ago and it happened again! On the facebook Volvo forum I've not found anyone with a long term solution. So could be this is an incurable design flaw. If so I plan on buying a different truck with a Cimmins engine. I've watched many of Rawzes videos on YouTube and like what I see for the most part!!!
(10-06-2019 )GeezerinaVolvo Wrote: [ -> ]New member here so if I do something wrong plz just tell me and I will amend my ways muy pronto!
Ok so just looking for info if there is a permanent solution to the injector cups issue on the Volvo d13. I don't see a search function so I'm asking here.
Had cups/injectors replaced about 5, 6 mos ago and it happened again! On the facebook Volvo forum I've not found anyone with a long term solution. So could be this is an incurable design flaw. If so I plan on buying a different truck with a Cimmins engine. I've watched many of Rawzes videos on YouTube and like what I see for the most part!!!
I don’t know of anyone here that knows anything about Volvo engine.
Injector cups have consistantly been a issue on the d13 and d16 engines and it seems like there is no end in sight. Volvo has tried a few different styles and metals.

It is very important that the new cups are installed properly, there can be no pitting on the injectors or in the bore.

6 months on a set is due to a poor install or your getting air in fuel.

As for swapping it for a cummins, I can guarantee you any isx will have way more issues than a volvo engine. This forum is testimony to that.... guys have to damn near be a mechanical engineer in order to keep these things running proper.
(10-06-2019 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]Injector cups have consistantly been a issue on the d13 and d16 engines and it seems like there is no end in sight. Volvo has tried a few different styles and metals.

It is very important that the new cups are installed properly, there can be no pitting on the injectors or in the bore.

6 months on a set is due to a poor install or your getting air in fuel.

As for swapping it for a cummins, I can guarantee you any isx will have way more issues than a volvo engine. This forum is testimony to that.... guys have to damn near be a mechanical engineer in order to keep these things running proper.
I was at the Volvo/Mack dealer in Portland picking up my repaired truck and asked about this issue. Dude said they've gone to a common rail system as of 2018. So all I gotta do is find enough money to buy a 2018-19 truck! Geez what a mess! Thanks for the perspective Brock.
I have replaced the cups myself on my Volvo D12d twice... maybe three times? I have the injector tool to do it also. IMO it is a poor decision making on Volvo's part! not actual design....

Volvo tried to address the issue by "upgrading" the Delphi injectors to a "conical" design and also the injector cups too with those going to stainless steel instead of copper.This to go along higher than ever fuel pressures with fuel rail/unit injectors where not a good result.

I think the D12/D13 motors are a great design... Seems like they came to the dinner table with a great idea and put it into production! but never followed up with it afterwards...

I ended up with buying my second Volvo truck with Cummins ISX. Just the fact they had this thing called "Cummins Quickserve" ??? Holy Shyt I thought.... This is a HUGE ordeal! found this website and the rest is history!
It has been an issue for those engines. Like was said if you only got 5 or 6 months before it is happening again I would lean towards bad install.

What is said to happen is that combustion gases makes its way past where the injector seats inside the injector bore. This allows the combustion gases to enter the fuel system. Last I heard they had a new tool design to use when installing injector seats.

There is bunches of Volvo and Mack engines with more than 700,000 miles running, so this issue has to be fixable.
Oh another thing about Volvo injector cup issue just keep in mind that every Volvo dealer has basically Joe blow and Albert working on putting the injector cups in! They work Monday through Friday and are dying to get out of work to go sit at the bar.

It does take a lot of preparation and know how to put them in! Ask me why I had to do it 3 times?
Volvo found out later down the road that the tool they were using to install cups and injectors wasn’t good so they fixed it. Came out with a updated tool that when used properly shouldn’t have as many injector cup/injector issues.

Sounds like who ever installed it didn’t install it properly.... or missed to tell you something important or didn’t want to tell you on purpose.

Found a mechanic who worked at Volvo and knows his way around a Volvo motor.

{pm user for info}

When ever I get another Mack or Volvo truck I’ll let him take a look over it for me.
I have 1.3 million km on my d13 and I've done injectors twice. I know another driver who has almost 1.5 million km on his and he's done injectors twice. A third driver went through 7 sets of injectors in just over 900000 km with the last two sets lasting 30000 km. All his were done by the same monkeys at the same dealership so it could be said they had no idea what they were doing.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's