Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Winter is here! Heated Wiper Blade time.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think I mention my heated wiper blades at least once every winter, if you guys own a ProStar, these heated blades are a life saver. I don't know about your trucks, but mine is terrible for icing wiper blades in the winter, and it takes very little to ice up a set of regular or even winter blades on my particular truck, and make driving darn near impossible.

Here is the company I use, I am on my sixth season with them, second set of blades, the wiper blade frames are original and still working.

https://www.everblades.com

They are made in Michigan and are incredibly sturdy, it is nothing to get three years out of a set of blades. I'm going to install mine this week before I head out.

You will need to install wiring, they need to be on their own circuit, as they do draw some amperage, I think it requires a 15 amp fuse, as the blades AND frame heat up to 200+ degrees.

They supply everything you will need in the kit, including a HD lighted dash switch. As far as the blades in the spring, summer and fall, they are plug and play at the arms. Just unplug and stow away for winter, I run the Trico summer blades. I simply use some dialectic grease to help protect the plugs from the elements when the summer blades are on and leave all of the wiring intact.

If you drive in the snow and sleet, I highly recommend a set of these. They work, and they work as advertised, a real rarity out here anymore, and have literally saved my bacon on more than a few occasions, especially in sleet and freezing rain.

And I make nothing for telling you guys about these, I view these as a safety item that most guys know about, but they really don't know about. These heated blades and frames are the real deal, six years, no issues. They work.
I've wanted to buy some for my truck for the last couple of years but never knew anyone who ran them and was worried they may be just a gimmick. Wife almost had a stroke when I told her how much replacement blades cost.
Thanks for the reminder. I probably wouldn't have remembered that I wanted a set until my wipers were just a couple flopping ice cubes.

I remember watching Hell on the Highway and he had a shaker style wiper that I thought was awesome until the heated ones were mentioned here. Now I can spend the next few days trying to figure out where to put the toggle. I'm half tempted to just add a relay to the heated mirror button for them.
(11-10-2019 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the reminder. I probably wouldn't have remembered that I wanted a set until my wipers were just a couple flopping ice cubes.

I remember watching Hell on the Highway and he had a shaker style wiper that I thought was awesome until the heated ones were mentioned here. Now I can spend the next few days trying to figure out where to put the toggle. I'm half tempted to just add a relay to the heated mirror button for them.

That may work, that relay. I like the switch on the dash, it lights up amber when it it is on so hopefully you will not forget to turn them off, as they do get hot as hell.

I just thought of one of these remote units too... https://amzn.to/33yLVPz
This would be easy to wire in and and hide nicely in the dash. I run two of these units in my truck for the sleeper fans, they work fantastically and will handle up to 30 amps. They are RC, so no worries in regard to placement. The key fobs are better than what any of the OEM outfits make too, real solid.
i just ordered mine today. i had couple piss poor experiences last year during 20-25 degree snow storms with blades freezing over and lifting off the windshield.
(11-10-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2019 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]I've wanted to buy some for my truck for the last couple of years but never knew anyone who ran them and was worried they may be just a gimmick. Wife almost had a stroke when I told her how much replacement blades cost.

The thing is they are silicone not rubber. they might cost a bit to replace, but you never have to replace them. Rubber blades need replacing at least once a year. I've had these on my truck now since Sept. 2015 same exact pair. they still move the water and they still get hot as hell.

I don't know how others use them but I use them ONLY when the ice builds up on the blades. if there's no build up on the blades then they get shut off till I need them again.

Holy smokes !!! Maybe it's because I'm up in the north where half the years winter but I've never had a set last a full year, I always buy the best wipers I can, been running some real nice ice blades that seem good.

I couldn't imagine having 1 set for that long... if they would, it would be money well spent.
(11-11-2019 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-10-2019 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]I've wanted to buy some for my truck for the last couple of years but never knew anyone who ran them and was worried they may be just a gimmick. Wife almost had a stroke when I told her how much replacement blades cost.

The thing is they are silicone not rubber. they might cost a bit to replace, but you never have to replace them. Rubber blades need replacing at least once a year. I've had these on my truck now since Sept. 2015 same exact pair. they still move the water and they still get hot as hell.

I don't know how others use them but I use them ONLY when the ice builds up on the blades. if there's no build up on the blades then they get shut off till I need them again.

Holy smokes !!! Maybe it's because I'm up in the north where half the years winter but I've never had a set last a full year, I always buy the best wipers I can, been running some real nice ice blades that seem good.

I couldn't imagine having 1 set for that long... if they would, it would be money well spent.

This is my third or fourth year with my second set, no issues here, just run them when I need them and turn them off. They are the nice old school Anco blades with a heating element installed along with the heating element in the flexible holder arm thing. They wear like iron. I think 2014 was my first year with them, I have bought four blades total. I still have the original set, and they still work, if not for the blades getting a bit streaky I would probably still be using them. But, that could probably be fixed with a bit of patience. Worth every penny in my book, especially on these aero trucks where it is darn near impossible to reach your arm out the window to flip the blade. I always hated doing that, lost a few good hats over the years...
I also just ordered a set and here’s a Scotty Kilmer video to help them https://youtu.be/3AFdUihWPCk
Good old Scotty! Watch him all the time...
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's