Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Wind!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm currently pulling 2 f750 pick up trucks 22000 #s load on my step out to Montana. I started the morning in Davenport IA and worked my way up to MN to i90 and headed west. I pushed steady 20-30mph head wind all day. I couldn't even go OOG on a descent down hill without losing more speed. I stayed in 8th and 9th doing 50-55mph all day. I know my average mpg for the day is gonna be in the 4's because out in the flats my instant mpg stayed in the 4's and 3's. That was the best I could do no matter what I tried. Is there any tricks besides parking it and driving at night when winds are calmer?
(10-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently pulling 2 f750 pick up trucks 22000 #s load on my step out to Montana. I started the morning in Davenport IA and worked my way up to MN to i90 and headed west. I pushed steady 20-30mph head wind all day. I couldn't even go OOG on a descent down hill without losing more speed. I stayed in 8th and 9th doing 50-55mph all day. I know my average mpg for the day is gonna be in the 4's because out in the flats my instant mpg stayed in the 4's and 3's. That was the best I could do no matter what I tried. Is there any tricks besides parking it and driving at night when winds are calmer?

yaeh,.. ask for more money to compensate for such a s$itty load next time?
you drove right by me when you went past exit 364 in south dakota lol wind has been terrible all day finaly just died down.
Was in Wyoming yesterday 40-55+mph winds with 20k in a dryvan it's been rough here luckily all the ice was cleared up at the time.
Hahaha, I figured I was just gonna eat a bad day. If im estimating my fuel right, the bad 500 mile day will cost me about $170 or so. Its not the end of the world on a 2000 mile move. I dodged about $260 in tolls on the way across PA,OH,IN and IL. Which I incorporate in to my rates if the routing program puts me on them. So I'm still $90 in the good for my extra efforts. Hopefully tomorrow will be kinder.

Lonestar10 are you hanging out at the corn palace?
(10-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]Hahaha, I figured I was just gonna eat a bad day. If im estimating my fuel right, the bad 500 mile day will cost me about $170 or so. Its not the end of the world on a 2000 mile move. I dodged about $260 in tolls on the way across PA,OH,IN and IL. Which I incorporate in to my rates if the routing program puts me on them. So I'm still $90 in the good for my extra efforts. Hopefully tomorrow will be kinder.

Lonestar10 are you hanging out at the corn palace?

nah i only go to mitchell if i need some car parts.
(10-12-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]I'm currently pulling 2 f750 pick up trucks 22000 #s load on my step out to Montana. I started the morning in Davenport IA and worked my way up to MN to i90 and headed west. I pushed steady 20-30mph head wind all day. I couldn't even go OOG on a descent down hill without losing more speed. I stayed in 8th and 9th doing 50-55mph all day. I know my average mpg for the day is gonna be in the 4's because out in the flats my instant mpg stayed in the 4's and 3's. That was the best I could do no matter what I tried. Is there any tricks besides parking it and driving at night when winds are calmer?

Did I see you outside Wertzville Pa on Thursday? Saw a truck sitting near there with two of those fords on the trailer.
Can't say that you did. I picked up and headed west Wednesday out of Greencastle. Although I do know the owner of the truck you saw. I guess he had a similar load.

When I got up yesterday and finished my ride and the winds were calmer my fuel mileage went right back to where it normally is. Wind is just a killer on the fuel peddle. I'll be fueling up today and I'll know what that day cost me then.

We just don't see that kind of constant push out in mountains and hills on the east coast. I've driven across the country many times and I'm sure I had days just like that. But I was a hammerdick just like 90% of the trucks on the road and just like them, couldn't care less about fuel mileage losses. It used to be all about "get the load done and get the next one" that's where I thought the $$ used to be. Now that I'm done with that idiotic self destructive way of running a business, I'm becoming fully aware of things like wind being a big factor on tall light loads out in "big country". I'll be adjusting my rates on these loads to compensate for that.
(10-14-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]Can't say that you did. I picked up and headed west Wednesday out of Greencastle. Although I do know the owner of the truck you saw. I guess he had a similar load.

When I got up yesterday and finished my ride and the winds were calmer my fuel mileage went right back to where it normally is. Wind is just a killer on the fuel peddle. I'll be fueling up today and I'll know what that day cost me then.

We just don't see that kind of constant push out in mountains and hills on the east coast. I've driven across the country many times and I'm sure I had days just like that. But I was a hammerdick just like 90% of the trucks on the road and just like them, couldn't care less about fuel mileage losses. It used to be all about "get the load done and get the next one" that's where I thought the $$ used to be. Now that I'm done with that idiotic self destructive way of running a business, I'm becoming fully aware of things like wind being a big factor on tall light loads out in "big country". I'll be adjusting my rates on these loads to compensate for that.

There is a bright side though, is that if u can get lucky enough to catch it just as windy, u can make up for fuel mileage losses heading back east. - I have done that many times.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's