Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 2013 isx 15 loud howling/whine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a 2013 pete 367 that has a loud howling whining noise. It only happens once the engine is warmed up it starts coming on slowly and softly at first then once its warmed up after an hour or so it comes on loud and strong and remains like that the rest of the day but only at higher rpms never at a idle. if im driving down the road at 65 mph its very load (drowns out radio and road noise) if i let off the throttle it has a short lag time then goes away same when i step on the throttle it has short lag time then comes right back. i notice it comes and goes at highway speed if im going down hill and seems if motor is not calling for any boost it goes away even if rpms stay the same. once it has begun making this noise i can get it to do it when parked by idling up the engine to 1300-1500 rpm. Sounds like its coming from rear drivers side of engine by the firewall but could just be one of them noises that travel around cause other people that hear it say its coming from other areas? I have some turbo chuffing sounds from time to time not sure that has anything to do with this loud howling noise but thought id throw that out there thanks for any help
pressurize the entire engine and see where the leaks are.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=972&page=3

^^ -- This should help. Good info on exactly what needs to be done to check for leaks.
Problem found !! took it to the local stealership (Cummins Dealer) showed them the noise it was making 2 days later they say it need a turbo??? Weird cause the noise is coming from driver side of the motor near the fire wall $1022.00 worth of diagnostic fees later i take truck home pissed off of course so then local mechanic and myself are talkn about it and decide that stealership is full of crap so we start trying to sort out where the sound is coming from i thought what the hell i will do the ole screwdriver to the ear and see if i can pin point it. it sounds like it is coming from around the filter on the side of the engine so i start there i end up going over everything on drivers side of motor and i cant pin it down but it sounds like its at the filter still so i go over the housing for the filter a second time but start lisening to every inch of the housing and assembly its connected to and bing i can hear it plain as day its in the housing that is connected to the fuel filter not sure what its but its there for sure so we decide to change filter and see if that does it. after filter change truck wont prime cause the lift pump is not working! so i go after a new pump meanwhile my mechanic friend is puzzled by this and calls his buddy (a mechanic at peterbilt) tells him whats going on and he says he ran across a truck in the past that was making same noise and that the fuel filter assembly is mounted to the engine using rubbber isolators turns out they were tight but not doing there job and was causing the loud humming howling noise. Meanwhile i return with lift pump and we get truck primed up and running! NO MORE NOISE!! i cant believe it but were not sure what it was . could have been the filter, the lift pump or the pulling around on the fuel filter assembly causing it to set diffferntly on the isolators we dont know but the noise is gone. Meanwhile i called cummins raised hell about what happend and they credited me $300 ( better then nothing) Meanwhile i wonder is my turbo going bad they said that was my issue? no codes runs fine pulls good and is clean and dry i do funny noises in the breathers like turbo chuffing sounds sometimes but all runs good other then that also i should say my turbo looks new all bolts and housing are very new shiny looking and my mechanic friend says he thinks someone just replaced it prior to me buying it Stealership said the gear that turns is tight and when it gets warmed up is even tighter and hard to turn?
I'm sure your turbo is fine. You just had a first hand experience with the crooked stealyoursh!ts ! Now you know why we advocate for working on your own truck. They are just blindly guessing and don't care what it costs you.
I can't find it, but Rawze had a post about diagnosing that chuffing noise. I think it had to do with the piping around that back of the engine. Something with the EGR piping. But I'm not sure exactly.
(10-23-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]I can't find it, but Rawze had a post about diagnosing that chuffing noise. I think it had to do with the piping around that back of the engine. Something with the EGR piping. But I'm not sure exactly.

I think you were referring to this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid22458
(10-23-2019 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]I can't find it, but Rawze had a post about diagnosing that chuffing noise. I think it had to do with the piping around that back of the engine. Something with the EGR piping. But I'm not sure exactly.

I think you were referring to this...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid22458

Question, us guys with the mandate removed, the pressure sensor for the egr piping, do we need to be aware of this when doing our EGR tuneups? I just replaced a couple of sensors, should that have been one to check, or is it something to not be concerned with?
(10-23-2019 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]Question, us guys with the mandate removed, the pressure sensor for the egr piping, do we need to be aware of this when doing our EGR tuneups? I just replaced a couple of sensors, should that have been one to check, or is it something to not be concerned with?

In your case Waterloo, you have an 871. There is no EGR pressure sensor on the 871. It is only on the 2250/2350 and newer engines.

==========

* If your truck is de-mandated (assuming you live in a country where that stuff is legal), then any and all EGR or emissions related sensors should not be effecting the engine in any way.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's