Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: How hot is too hot for a new set of brake shoes and drum to run???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all, it’s been awhile since I have been on. I had to take another break from the road, but now I am back hopefully for awhile.

Anyway, put new brake shoes, drums, and chambers on my old trailer, adjusted the brakes, then went out for a test drive. Two of the drums are running about 180 degrees after 100 miles or so, the other two, one is at 200, and the other about 240?? I have already pulled down the hot positions and everything looks fine. Am I worried for nothing??? (Also slack adjusters, S cams and bushings are relatively new too, only about 30,000 miles on them)

Thanks
The 180s and 200s i wouldnt worry about but the 240 maybe you had 1 click tighter than the rest? or maybe it caught the least amount a wind if there was a cross wind that would explain 1 side being 180 and other 200.
Is the sun bright and shiny on one side more than the other?
You just changed shoes. You probably just have a shoe or 2 with a high spot that needs to wear in.
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will just run it and keep an eye on it with the temp gun each time I stop.
Unless the drum is red hot and smoke rolling out, you should be ok. I've done the same thing your doing with a temp gun after changing shoes and drums, and I got the same results your getting. Some of your s cams or bushings could be more worn than others allowing one wheel to do a little more work even though slack adjusters are adjusted the same
Is this normal? The RR axle was at 100 for a few minutes while I was rolling. The light had came on and went off
I have the same gauges in my Lonestar those lights light up all the time
(10-21-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same gauges in my Lonestar those lights light up all the time

Okay. Thought I might have had a problem
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's