Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: New truck, someones been playing with...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was already considering a pyrometer. My truck lacks a boost and suspension load gauge anyway so it's just one more thing to check off the list.
Occasionally I do get high EGT lights. Fairly rare though, maybe twice in the last 5000 miles.
I'd love to get more power out of it, but not at the expense of mileage. Im also not in a hurry to get a hack to screw up my ECM. I'm currently keeping my eyes open for anything that could be lowering my mileage. I drive at 62 and for an aerodynamic truck, I'm still only getting about 5.5 loaded on level ground. Some of you get loaded what I'm getting unloaded(based on my fuel receipts, not the DIC)
Im still adjusting to it from the C15. The C15 was a bit easier to drive, and pulled better on the grades, of course the extra 150HP helps with that. Definitely have to shift faster. The lack of engine response under 50% throttle position is rather odd.

Just want to make sure it runs right and its reliable and not burning more diesel than it needs to...
(06-18-2016 )dhirocz Wrote: [ -> ]I was already considering a pyrometer. My truck lacks a boost and suspension load gauge anyway so it's just one more thing to check off the list.
Occasionally I do get high EGT lights. Fairly rare though, maybe twice in the last 5000 miles.
I'd love to get more power out of it, but not at the expense of mileage. Im also not in a hurry to get a hack to screw up my ECM. I'm currently keeping my eyes open for anything that could be lowering my mileage. I drive at 62 and for an aerodynamic truck, I'm still only getting about 5.5 loaded on level ground. Some of you get loaded what I'm getting unloaded(based on my fuel receipts, not the DIC)
Im still adjusting to it from the C15. The C15 was a bit easier to drive, and pulled better on the grades, of course the extra 150HP helps with that. Definitely have to shift faster. The lack of engine response under 50% throttle position is rather odd.

Just want to make sure it runs right and its reliable and not burning more diesel than it needs to...

EGT light comes on during active regen, it's normal.
Pyro meter and boost gauges will definitely help on driving it for better economy.
You're going to have to change your driving style compared to a Cat. The ISX is best not lugged below 1300 rpm and pulls better at 1600 on grades. Try that and see if your mileage increases.

Your own Insite is the best tool you can have, otherwise you're driving blind.
Review on the Variable Speed 1 governor (throttle) setting over Automotive.
I don't like it!
Background: other than bouncing from truck to truck when I was a teenager learning to drive and all I knew about trucks was; they're 18 wheelers and they're cool, the first assigned truck I drove was a Big Cam 3. After that I had 5 Series 60's, 3 12.7l & 2 14l versions, then my CM871. I've drove a couple Cats here and there of friends trucks, but never for longer than 2 weeks. I'm in my 26th year driving trucks now, with the last 12 strictly Heavy Haul so needless to say I'm quite used to the "fast/touchy" throttle. I also spent 9 years drag racing, so I'm inclined to like quick shifts. I never did get good at shifting Cats due to the lack of throttle time. At low speed, I need to shift quickly because I lose momentum fast, so I prefer that.
I found the VS1 to not be as much like "Cat shifting" as my lack of experience recalls, but more of a throttle position based on speed, if that makes sense. I found that I had to move the peddle farther in travel to get the response I was looking for. Somebody stated that they didn't like that "the throttle didn't seem to respond for the first half of travel" and that is a good way of putting it.
In summary, because I've had rheostat throttles for about 23yrs now, and I drive in my sock feet, I did not like the lack of response in the throttle with the VS1 setting, and I've now gone back to Automotive.
Hope this helps
Finally got some of my issues taken care of. Did the EGR tune-up...the IMAP was pretty caked. Doesnt appear to have ever been replaced. Have done a number of other things in the last couple months, like an Amsoil bypass filter and replacing the damper and front crank seal, among other things.
I have to wonder, I do get EGT lights occasionally...my truck has no DEF being a 2010 T2000, and has wiring for a Regen switch in the dash (but the switch was removed and capped off). Any way to confirm or deny if someone has done a DPF delete to this thing before I got it (other than pulling the DPF filter)? I have yet to check the doser injector, but I was able to check the turbo air intake and discharge (a hardly noticeable bit of play in the shaft, seals do not leak, spins freely)
Slowly trying to get everything up to speed, between resets.
(11-14-2016 )dhirocz Wrote: [ -> ]Finally got some of my issues taken care of. Did the EGR tune-up...the IMAP was pretty caked. Doesnt appear to have ever been replaced. Have done a number of other things in the last couple months, like an Amsoil bypass filter and replacing the damper and front crank seal, among other things.
I have to wonder, I do get EGT lights occasionally...my truck has no DEF being a 2010 T2000, and has wiring for a Regen switch in the dash (but the switch was removed and capped off). Any way to confirm or deny if someone has done a DPF delete to this thing before I got it (other than pulling the DPF filter)? I have yet to check the doser injector, but I was able to check the turbo air intake and discharge (a hardly noticeable bit of play in the shaft, seals do not leak, spins freely)
Slowly trying to get everything up to speed, between resets.

Hook up insite and do a forced regen. if it is deleted, you will not be able to do so.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's