Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Texas Local Work Opportunity .. Thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey Guys , I would like to hear your thought on Texas, mostly Dallas.
I would like to know how local work is. Is there enough year round ? Whats the avg rate ?
dry van, flatbed , reefer ?
I currently live in SoCAl, I have been here all my life but the regulations are getting out of hand. Im considering moving to Dallas but would like to know more on the market. Here in SoCali I can make a decent living coming home every night and driving about 50k miles a yr. moving dry van.
If its possible to find lanes in Texas that will allow me to be home everyday I would really consider the change.

Your thoughts are appreciated, please no offensive comments.
Smorgan was working in texas and was saying searching for freight without being a local company that has customers was worthless super cheap freight everywhere nothing worth hauling.
One thing that needs to be considered is that living somewhere else is likely to cost you about 1/3 that it does in that communist state as well.... You don;t need to make nearly as much to be at the same income comfort level.

My house would be worth a million dollars and i would owe 160-180k a year in property taxes alone out there... here in GA, its worth about 70k and i pay about 2k in takes a year. - This alone helps dictate the outrageous rents and other costs in that horrible state vs. here.
You will find plenty of opportunities on craigslist dallas.
Like hhow said, get on CraigsList, that is normally a good barometer of local work. Normally where I find my employers, so far it has been pretty good. There is usually a nugget in there, that one ad that will only post once or twice, in my experience, those are normally the better carriers and worth a call. And if there is no phone number listed, ignore them, more than likely fishing scams.
I can't speak for everything because my experience is limited. Im Texas only. There is plenty of freight to move around here. Housing costs are going to be about a quarter of what they are in Cali. Your fuel and insurance costs are gonna be probably half. I rarely pay more than 2.60 per gallon. You can easily be home every day and if you run Texas logs you can really pack some miles in. Freight rates coming out of DFW look a lot less than those going in on the load boards because around here the boards are mostly only utilized by brokers and brokers only get the leftover loads the carriers couldn't cover. If your running your own authority, the carriers will let you grab loads from them in exchange for a 2% cut of the base rate. You can easily gross over 1k a day any day of the week after that 2%. I've never had a day I couldn't get a load. I run meat, beer, or groceries between Amarillo, DFW, El Paso, and Laredo myself. You can gross that just moving freight around DFW alone if you don't mind sitting in traffic.
(11-12-2019 )Rilloroc Wrote: [ -> ]I can't speak for everything because my experience is limited. Im Texas only. There is plenty of freight to move around here. Housing costs are going to be about a quarter of what they are in Cali. Your fuel and insurance costs are gonna be probably half. I rarely pay more than 2.60 per gallon. You can easily be home every day and if you run Texas logs you can really pack some miles in. Freight rates coming out of DFW look a lot less than those going in on the load boards because around here the boards are mostly only utilized by brokers and brokers only get the leftover loads the carriers couldn't cover. If your running your own authority, the carriers will let you grab loads from them in exchange for a 2% cut of the base rate. You can easily gross over 1k a day any day of the week after that 2%. I've never had a day I couldn't get a load. I run meat, beer, or groceries between Amarillo, DFW, El Paso, and Laredo myself. You can gross that just moving freight around DFW alone if you don't mind sitting in traffic.

Hey thanks for your reply. Im sure traffic cant be any worse than it is here. Im planning on taking a drive out there this yr to check out the town. I wouldnt mind paying the 2% as long as I can keep the truck running and be close to home.
What city do you recommend ?
(11-11-2019 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]Like hhow said, get on CraigsList, that is normally a good barometer of local work. Normally where I find my employers, so far it has been pretty good. There is usually a nugget in there, that one ad that will only post once or twice, in my experience, those are normally the better carriers and worth a call. And if there is no phone number listed, ignore them, more than likely fishing scams.

Ive been checking Craigslist and yea I can see some opportunities. Getting fed up with all these laws taking away opportunity.
(11-11-2019 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that needs to be considered is that living somewhere else is likely to cost you about 1/3 that it does in that communist state as well.... You don;t need to make nearly as much to be at the same income comfort level.

My house would be worth a million dollars and i would owe 160-180k a year in property taxes alone out there... here in GA, its worth about 70k and i pay about 2k in takes a year. - This alone helps dictate the outrageous rents and other costs in that horrible state vs. here.

Agreed , things are getting out of hand in this state. I was born and raised here but now I feel im ready to move on and continue to grow in this industry, something this state wont let you.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's