Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Fault code 2754 - 2011 KW T660
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright so as already established, my dad has 2011 KW T660 with the ISX15 Cummins approximately 580k miles.

I'm about ready to drive it off a cliff.

First off we have followed nearly all recommendations by Rawze on DPF system maintenance except for the EGR side mainly because haven't gotten to it yet in the past two months fumbling with other issues.

Very recently replaced the big things including, Doser, exhaust flex pipe, gaskets, put in remanufactured dpf 70k miles ago, delta-p sensor on DPF, NOx sensors on inlet and outlet, intake manifold pressure sensor, and there may be something else I'm forgetting.

Now we need help.

At this moment, going on for a month, every two weeks my dad runs into code 2754. I read around about it and I'm confused. Mainly because the active regeneration cycle occurs and increases in occurrence when outside temp is high. Starting about 85° and up. After about 3k miles or two weeks and several instances of very hot days on the road, including inclines, we get this code each time and the previous time we also got filter clogged light on the dash. Today, in 65° weather and rain, the regeneration turned on in park for 30 minutes then again for a less than ten minutes on the road and all the lights and code ran away on their own.

What does this all mean?! :(

Losing my mind, if someone can shed some light on this I'll be glad to answer any questions as quickly as I can.

Thank you
Go to Cummins http://www.Quickserve.com and enter your ESN and open an account where you can do your own searches on your particular motor, much quicker that way. I would also recommend going over to Ebay and purchasing an Inline 5 reader, one of the Chinese ones, as you are going to need it. One of the guys here can help load the software up, it should come with the reader itself.

Here is your code meaning direct from Cummins, fault code 2754. I wish I could tell you more, one of the more knowledgeable here hopefully will chime in and point you in the right direction.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fault Code 2754

Engine Particulate Filter Inlet Pressure - Data Valid but Above Normal Operational Range - Moderately Severe Level. Excessive black smoke has been detected exiting the engine and entering the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter.

Circuit Description

The engine aftertreatment system monitors the soot load in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. Under normal operating conditions, the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter is self-cleaning where soot is converted to carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and water. Under light load operating conditions, it can be necessary to perform a stationary regeneration of the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter. The soot load in the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter is estimated using the aftertreatment differential pressure sensor and the calculated soot output of the engine.

This fault code is logged when the sensors in the aftertreatment system indicates soot accumulation inside the diesel particulate filter is happening at a higher rate than under normal conditions. This indicates that the smoke (soot) being produced from the engine is higher than normal.

Component Location

The aftertreatment diesel particulate filter is located in the exhaust system and is installed by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

Conditions for Running the Diagnostics

This diagnostic runs continuously when engine speed is greater than 500 rpm.

Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes

This fault code is logged when the soot accumulation inside the diesel particulate filter is happening at a higher rate than under normal conditions.

Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active

The fault code is active immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails.
Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code

The electronic control module (ECM) will disable the fault code immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes or after a keyswitch cycle.

Shop Talk

Verify the electronic control module (ECM) calibration is correct. Check the calibration revision history found on QuickServe® Online for applicable fixes to the calibration stored in the ECM. If necessary, recalibrate the ECM. Refer to Procedure 019-032 (ECM Calibration Code) in Section 19 in the corresponding Troubleshooting and Repair Manual for the engine being serviced.

Possible causes of this fault code include:

Boost leaks in the charge air cooler plumbing
A malfunctioning variable geometry turbocharger (VGT)
A malfunctioning exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
A malfunctioning in-range EGR differential pressure sensor
A malfunctioning in-range boost pressure sensor
A malfunctioning in-range barometric pressure sensor
A cylinder misfire or overfueling.
Refer to Troubleshooting Fault Code t05-2754

Oh, when you find that cliff, send me the directions! ;-)
I PM'd him my number.
Thanks guys be in touch soon Rawze! I've just been on the road all day and going into a meeting right now.

Ugh the life.
Hey, I'm currently having the same problem with about 10+ of my trucks. All ISX 15 cummins. We have replaced DPFs, pressure sensors and lines. Cleaned intake sensors and EGR pressure sesnors. Nothing seems to be working. We have sent trucks to our local Kenworth and they have soent time trying to figure them out and can not seem to fix it. We are spending $2000-3000 at a time and need to figure out why this code won't go away.
What I find most of the time is when the dealer R&R the cans they never either:
1) Tight clamps good and you can tell where soot is coming out thereby letting pressure bypass the sensor.

2) They didnt install a new gasket(s) and again you see soot all over.

I have found 1 that the sensor tubes had a whole rub into it. and/or the housing to where the sensor mounts is cracked.

Remember the ECM only knows what its being told so if bad data is received the out come is the same.
(11-01-2016 )Houser Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I'm currently having the same problem with about 10+ of my trucks. All ISX 15 cummins. We have replaced DPFs, pressure sensors and lines. Cleaned intake sensors and EGR pressure sesnors. Nothing seems to be working. We have sent trucks to our local Kenworth and they have soent time trying to figure them out and can not seem to fix it. We are spending $2000-3000 at a time and need to figure out why this code won't go away.

It is excess soot problems (or sensors sending data to the ECM telling it is making too much soot) ...

I seriously doubt you ever get a decent solution from a stealership over excess soot problems. it is like asking them to solve low fuel mileage problems. they just aren't trained to actually troubleshoot something but instead, keep repeating the same procedures at YOUR EXPENSE, wasting your time and money on replacing expensive components. That is what they are trained for and are brainwashed into doing!. Solving actual engine problems where something is not fallen off the engine, leaking oil badly, or has destroyed itself is NOT in their training.

* START by doing an injector leak test on the truck(s) and cylinder cut-out tests. Ensure you have no leaky injector(s) or rail.

* ENSURE the overhead valve adjustment is correct! -- I can't tell you how many stealerships that I have seen adjust the valves WRONG on these engines!. Since you are having excess soot issues, ensure the valve cam has not slipped either!.

* Perform EGR tune-ups (replacing Doser, IMAP, EGR Delta-P, Exhaust BP sensor, etc,etc.etc. and pressure test the engine (not just the CAC) to ensure there are no boost or exhaust leaks.

* Remove and clean out the EGR piping and EGR valve, and inspect it for proper operation, etc.

* Pressure test the coolant system and ensure NO COOLANT is getting into the engine or emissions systems via a leaky component like the Doser injector, EGR cooler, bad gaskets/liners, etc.

* CHECK THE DAMN VALVE GUIDE SEALS!!! -- They are notorious for leaking and plugging up DPF filters on the CM2250/CM2350 engines. Remove the exhaust manifold and look for wet exhaust valves.

* DO A TURBO INSPECTION and check its movement etc. while you have the exhaust manifold off. Re-calibrate THE RIGHT WAY like my video shows when re-installing it.

* TAKE LOOSE the Doser injector pipe off the back of the turbo and crank the truck to see if the Doser injector is not leaky/getting wet with fuel or coolant while the truck is running.

* Remove and TAKE PICTURES of the face of the DOC AND DPF cans and post them on here when they are throwing the code(s). Take close-up shots of anything that has built up on their faces too, and scratch at it with something soft if there is build-up to see what it could be.

* CLEAN OUT and inspect the Delta-P sensor for the DPf and clean out the injector for the SCR system.

* REPLACE ALL of the NOX Sensors (I think there is 3 of them) if they are more than 150k miles old! -- They only read correctly for about 200k miles max, then they start throwing EVERYTHING off in the engine from timing issues to soot problems long before they actually start throwing codes.

* Inspect and ensure the decomp tube is not clogged up. It is very common for them to get a "volcano" in them. ( LINK: The 2250 Volcano ).

* MAKE DAMN SURE!!! -- YOU ARE USING THE FACTORY PROGRAM MADE FOR YOUR TRUCK -- And that someone DID NOT change the power in the truck!. This can be VERY PROBLEMATIC for a lot of trucks when some moron changes the factory program to a higher HP one and then the result is that the program was not designed for that model truck and CAC, exhaust, etc!. In the end, you very often get repeated emissions issues that no one can explain.

====================

The alternate solution is to have the MM-2 program in them and be done with it, but 9 times out of 10,.. IT IS THE ENGINE THAT IS USUALLY THE PROBLEM!!! CAUSING ALL THE EMISSIONS SYSTEM ISSUES! -- And those problems STILL HAVE TO BE FIXED if you want a decent running truck.
Reference URL's