Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Noisy air compressor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have an 08 prostar with a Cummins. I know that the air compressors are noisy. But some times it rattles so bad it makes me worry. Other times it's pretty quiet for an ISX. It was changed about 2 1/2 years ago and I don't run a lot of miles. I do the gear oil, by pass filter and short oil changes. It still has all the factory stuff in place but I do the tune ups like I should. So, has anyone had any success running anything through the air compressor to clean it out. I know I would have to remove the out line as not to get stuff in the air system. But sometimes it is like really bad out of adjusted valves, the rattle. I was told it is from the carbon build up, any ideas.
Is it building pressure properly? Where did you get the compressor? Dealer, parts store or Ebay? I have a Haldex reman on mine, virtually silent and pumping air, installed it myself, as the dealers tend to screw the install up, they slap them on and do not line up to the gear train... Maybe it just needs to be removed and installed properly?
(01-08-2020 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]Is it building pressure properly? Where did you get the compressor? Dealer, parts store or Ebay? I have a Haldex reman on mine, virtually silent and pumping air, installed it myself, as the dealers tend to screw the install up, they slap them on and do not line up to the gear train... Maybe it just needs to be removed and installed properly?
Builds air great, it's a reman from International in Florence SC. Dealer didn't put it on, but it was put on right. It didn't use to be noisy but it is now. BUT, not all the time. Sometimes you can hear it a little, and when the dryer spits it get quite. But sometimes, sounds like bad adjusted valves.
Perfectly normal. You'll also notice its quieter after a fresh oil change. Perfectly normal. It a Cummins thing.
mine is super noisy too. 2012 pete with cm2250. had to get mine replaced last spring and i swear the new one is louder than the old one. almost louder then the engine itself!
They get loud, that is for sure... Got lucky with my FleetPride Haldex reman, she is very quiet, I have to wonder at times if it is working. Would the air dryer play into the noise? I know a bit about these systems, but not that much. I replaced my dryer when I changed out the air compressor, like I said, you can barely hear the air compressor doing its job.
When the guy was replacing mine on the side of the road I joked with him that maybe the new one would be quieter than the old one. he just looked at me, shook his head and said that it was highly unlikely. sadly, he was right.
Good quality remans!!
(01-09-2020 )tree98 Wrote: [ -> ]Good quality remans!!

That FleetPride Haldex compressor looked good right out of the box, remanned right here in the USA. Been very happy with it, I think it was $900 and of course the core.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's