Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM 871 Timing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Guys
I have a question on timing. Picked up CM871 and noticed that the 4/6 on the valve cover had been changed to 4.25/6. So, i went to the origional owner and in his files found that this truck had a recent overhaul, In the paper work they discribed setting the timing, i have attached a picture and was wondering if this is the proper way to set the timing at overhaul. Is this the base timing method? Thanks for the help.[attachment=6224]
They've used the proper static injection timing kit to get your timing as close to nominal as possible (0.5515).
I have never had to use anything but 4/6 wedge on a CM871 engine... And they all come from the factory at that setting, the software expects them to all be set at exactly 4/6. - Not sure that the older methods even really apply on them as such, but that is up in the air for speculation.

Most of the time when they do this older methods, they also don't properly use loc-tite-609 on the tapered gears to secure them, so that they can take them on and off... Also only setting liner height to 0.010" (or less), and a lot of other things that i would not trust one damn bit.

Was it counter-bored?-- liners raised to 0.014"? -- was it a brand new head? Was it all OEM parts?

I would be skeptical of this build.

just my thoughts when reading this.
Yup Rawze you is right. Shitty work. Finally got this truck in the shop. It was sold as rebuilt engine with documentation. Truck ran like shi#t bringing it home. So started with Insite and found no parameters for anything related to DPF or EGR. I noticed that the Turbo was running about 30,k rpm and when you stuck your foot in it it would spool to 85,000 rpm :oh:. Boost was bouncing to 30-40. SO, Pulled DPF and DOC pics attached (i think). Went to pressure test A to A, failed. Turbo is pumping oil. actually the leaks in the ata are easy to see, there the ones leaking oil. 2 year old cooler, Block plate in intake. (free give away). front cover is leaking so pulled it. When i pulled the bottom idler gear the one bolt was covered in silicon ????? Looking in at it againi see that 3 holes go into the water jacket and the one below the oil gallery is blind. Thats the one that had the silicon on it. Local dealership tells me that that is common to find. Any thoughts, This truck had a history of coolant leaking in to the oil is there a chance that coolant can pass by the bolts that are into the coolant jacket.
Thanks in advance Gents[attachment=6338][attachment=6339][attachment=6340]
Oh god! That is your DPF? All of that back pressure caused by all of that soot explains your issues, and the leaks and failed CAC. Damn. Worst thing, from my own personal experience, if that motor was put together the way we are currently seeing, they did not cut the ledge for the liners, they simply dropped them in, like in my first in frame. I would bet money that the head and the head gasket are shot. That is where your coolant is leaking. And no, the silicone is not normal, that is laziness, and you have bigger issues.
The slag on the timing gear bolts is just assembly grease that's been heat cycled thousands of times. You'll find it in every ISX.
Hi Guys
I wonder if someone could get me straightened out on turbos. I went to our turbo shop yesterday thinking im looking for a He551Ve to replace the one i have on this 871 with a CPL of 2733 set at 485hp. Insite pt # is 5350895 if i got it right which matches with the tag on the turbo. Kit# 4309077RX ,Assy# 3774602. So.. In a discussion with buddy (and there may be a slight language barrier), I get that the turbo i have is an He561Ve, ok so back in the fall i posted about changing turbos on another 871 and it wouldn't preform a regen so i went back and got my old one and put it on and everything worked,So yesterday while im trying to figure out whats the difference i notice that there are 2 different covers for the turbine as well there are 2 different shaft sizes am i correct that a 561 can have a 72mmX12 small shaft, as well a 72x12 large shaft or a 77mmx12 which i would assume would be for the higher HP. If this is correct then last fall the first turbo i brought home and installed and the truck wouldn't regen must have been the 77x12. I remember reading sometime ago that Rawze said a larger turbo would work but at the expense of lag and fuel. This thing was demandated and im trying to get it back to good, Theres not a lot of info available for a breakdown on turbos, or at least not that i can find.
Thanks
Thanks Rawze. I'm trying to figure out which turbo is the best to put on this 2733cpl motor. I asked for a He551Ve and am being told it changes to He561Ve and that there are 2 a high hp and a low which I think is what I have now 4309077 assy #3774602. Ido have to replace the turbo and can get either for the same price. I'm trying for the best fuel and Preformance just put EGR and DPF on this truck and am hoping uni can work his magic on this. Were pulling 146,000 constantly in hilly country. Original cal was 485hp
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's