Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Sensor cleaning/replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just curious all of you guys running red motors that have been properly demandated, how often do you check, clean, or replace the key sensors which are still in play?? Of course I know they don’t require the attention that they did when the spot monster was intact, but I was just looking for a general consensus of what everyone is doing. Thanks
no soot.. so i only go in insite and compare imap with baro sensor and ive done the exh pressure once a year.
I put a round of them in every year to 1.5 years. That's exhaust back pressure sensor, IMAP, and now the barometric pressure sensor because I found that stupid thing reading all over the place.

Pressure sensors may read fine at low pressures but can be inaccurate during operation. They are mechanical sensors. They have microscopic moving parts that can read inaccurately somewhere in there full range of movement. Its tough to see these little imperfections or calculate them when monitoring them. But the ECM does this real well and I want it to have near to flawless data at all times so it can always do its job the way its programmed. So they get changed so I don't have to worry about them as much for another full year or so.

The temp sensors I'll monitor with Insite and make sure they're reading within reason when the engine is cold compared to ambient temps and then again what they should normally reading under normal operating temp. Anything too fishy looking and they get tossed without hesitation.

Thats only a couple hundred dollars a year. It only takes a couple thousand miles of lower MPG's from them reading incorrectly to easily justify doing this.

I also change air filters 3 times a year for the same reason.
I replace two sensors yearly, the iMap and the exhaust back pressure sensor, when I get the truck ready for winter. Other sensors as needed, like oil pressure, cam and crank sensors, etc. Sensors are cheap in the big scheme of things.
(02-19-2020 )JMBT Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious all of you guys running red motors that have been properly demandated, how often do you check, clean, or replace the key sensors which are still in play?? Of course I know they don’t require the attention that they did when the spot monster was intact, but I was just looking for a general consensus of what everyone is doing. Thanks

With it de-mandated...

IMAP every 250k miles max between replacements.

Exhaust gas pressure sensor 400k miles max between replacements.

Other sensors, typically only as needed, or is suspect and is old.
So strange this thread just popped up lol ....

- I literally just ordered a doser injector (mine now has 350k on it and would rather not wait till it dribbles money out of the exhaust), and an IMAP and EGP sensor (submitted a couple offers which were accepted ..... figured I'd need them eventually. The current ones installed only have about 75-80k on them), and an intake air filter (just again b/c the price was right).
Reference URL's