Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 2015 T660 hood clearance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My hood is striking the cab when you hit a dip in the road or say jumping up on a bridge or falling of the other side of a bridge.

Have adjusted the hood seats up about as far as they will go I think. Will still hit each other sometimes. Replaced cab shocks, cab sits level so I don't think it is because of the cab air bags making the cab ride high. Side note T660 cab shocks are a pain to change. Most trucks have shocks on back of cab. But no Kenworth thought it a good idea to put them up under the sleeper, and to make it even better the bolts holding the shocks on are in backwards. The bolt hits the air bag before you can get the bolt out of the shock. You can bet I put the bolt in from the other direction when I changed the shocks.

Just from looking at other trucks like mine some show signs of the hood smacking the cab and some don't so??
Anyone know what I need to do to stop this from happening?

I have about an inch gap between the hood and cab when sitting.
What about front cab mounts?
(03-17-2020 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]What about front cab mounts?

Those have crossed my mind. Once again Kenworth has the cab mounts in a hard to get at place. Was going to try to pry the cab up and see if there is movement at the cab mounts. I have tried shaking the cab, but the cab is heavy so I couldn't get it to mine enough to actually tell if it would move up and down.
Also look at your hood mounts up front they could be "mushy" and letting the hood push into the cab.. or lost a spacer? if they are like a w9 just get them online as KW dealer put a k-whatever number price for a bushing(big$$) and you can get them for a few bucks online
for cab mounts just use a small jack to raise up the cab as there is only a bolt holding the mount on(if like the w9) i use a small floor jack on mine and a block of wood to get it up(undo both sides before lifting) or just lift it up just a little to see if there's movement there.
Also i didn't see if you replaced the bushings that the hood rides on, don't know if you got the pin/cone type or that slotted type(sits in that u shaped deal) I'm sure you looked at um but just saying...
Replaced drivers side cab mount. Not fun at all. The one I took out didn't look too be worn much. Tried to do passenger side but gave up when I saw that the coolant hoses for heater cores was not going to stretch. Cab has to be raised at least 2.5" to get mounts out.

Replaced my hood pin bumpers and adjusted them. Hopefully this will stop the hood from smacking the cab.

Picture of what cab mount looks like. Kenworth isn't easy to work on.
Those are the same as a w9's and they do look way better than mine did. mine were just flat on the sides. as i do alot of dirt road's it just beat them to death so i don't think they are your issue hope the pins work for you.
Well got a chance to change my passenger side cab mount. Had to change my engine coolant as it needed changing to get it within a safe range to prevent eating my liners out.

So I could remove my heater hoses and jack up the cab to get the mount out. Passenger side may have had just a little more wear than the drivers side.

I have eliminated cab mounts as being my culprit. Will see Thursday if the hood pins helped it. Going to Louisiana, their roads will test your whole truck.
I have been fighting this for awhile.

Have changed front cab mounts.
Hood pins, they are shaped like cones.
Adjusted hood pins all over the place, not much help.

I am thinking it is the cab lifting to high. Like the shocks are allowing the hood to rise too high after a dip in the road. I replaced shocks because one was leaking. The ones I took off were not the originals. The new ones did look like the ones I took off so I didn't think twice about it.

Does anyone know where I can look up what shock fits my cab? Trying to check length of shock. I know the length of the monroe shocks I have on currently.
could go to the stealers$it and buy official factory shocks one time to and go from there.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's