Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Many questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Howdy Rawze and Folks! New owner op. Bought a 2010 Pete 386/Cummins ISX CM871 425ST back on Dec 5th. Only had the truck out for the past 2 months. Everything has been going great. Until recently. Now, when i started, i turn the key and let all the gauges cycle through like normal. Thats always non-negotiable with me. After it cranks, it runs perfectly smooth for about a minute then begins to "lope". Like its a big cam hot rod. Not sure if thats normal on a cummins, but i thought i'd mention it. Anyway. Recently i was just driving along with the cruise on and it sounded like something gave out and caused an exhaust leak. When and only when i give it any throttle it will sound like a really old worn out, heavily loaded log truck. Or and old car with open headers. I got to a stopping point and left it running and checked everything over. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and i couldnt find anything out of the ordinary. After a week of this, still nothing out of the ordinary. No visible exhaust soot marks and i cant feel any exhaust escaping. I just recently replaced my Imap and DeltaP sensors after watching Rawze's videos on youtube. The Imap was completely sealed up with soot and the DeltaP was disgusting as well, BUT it looked like it had some condesation in the holes. The EGR cooler "looks" brand new, because its shiny as a new nickle and there are stickers all over it. I hope i really dont have anything bad going on. Thank you in advance.
You need an Inline 6 reader and a copy of Insite software, eBay is where we normally get that stuff, no clue what is going on there with this lockdown.

Have you opened the top and inspected the cam, rollers, etc? Run the overhead? how many miles on the motor? Damper been replaced? Cam and Crank shaft timing sensors replaced? They do not last forever... Check the harness for chafing, bad wiring? Start the truck and smack the ECM with a rubber mallet and see what happens?

I would would also check the injectors (Rawze has a video), pressure test the coolant system and the fuel tanks. Does it have a Davco Filter? Anything odd there? Check the CAC for leaks? Tighten everything up? Check all of the clamps? Pull the piping off the turbo and inspect? Do you have a turbo boost gauge and pyrometer? Pull the DPF/DOC cans and inspect? Fuel Doser? The Doser does clog up and that leads to other issues... Should be replaced every 250,000 miles...

Bottom line, you need that Inline 6 reader and some tools. Until you get that, you are pissing in the wind... Unless you want to take it to a dealership... $$$

Others will chime in. Bottom line, you have issues.
check the flex pipe (exhaust bellows) that comes after the turbo. Not sure about your peete, but my pete (2012 587) has it situated only an inch or so away from the frame rail and they are known to go bad after a while. I didn't notice mine leaking until I was running a parked regen and saw the slightest wisp of exhaust gas escape.

How is the rest of the engine performing? You mentioned potential exhaust issues, but nothing else. Also, you didn't mention if the truck's been demandated. I'm guessing from your description that it is not, but need to know for certain. What's your oil and coolant consumption look like?
No, it should not lope at idle... if it does then is simply is running like s$it ... something is amiss.
(04-17-2020 )JimT Wrote: [ -> ]check the flex pipe (exhaust bellows) that comes after the turbo. Not sure about your peete, but my pete (2012 587) has it situated only an inch or so away from the frame rail and they are known to go bad after a while. I didn't notice mine leaking until I was running a parked regen and saw the slightest wisp of exhaust gas escape.

How is the rest of the engine performing? You mentioned potential exhaust issues, but nothing else. Also, you didn't mention if the truck's been demandated. I'm guessing from your description that it is not, but need to know for certain. What's your oil and coolant consumption look like?

Howdy Mr. Jim. Thank you for the reply. My truck is an X-werner truck. 619K on the odometer and it has an Eaton Fuller 9 speed in it. It will not under any circumstances while reving up to 1500rpms to change gears go above 1500. Like ever. I dont know if it has a rev limiter on it or not. It seems to me like somethings clogged up on it or something. Because it is so slow to start off and get going up to speed, that its ridiculous. Then i started hearing that "exhaust leak' sound. You only hear it from the passenger side. My last trip was from Minneapolis to Penn. then Penn. to Georgia (my home state), around 1500 miles total. I filled both 120gal tanks just as slap full as possible and when I made it to Penn. (about 870 miles) I was on a 1/4 tank. I figured filling both tanks up like that would have gotten me home. Nope. THEN, after i filled them again in PENN. When i got home about 750 miles. I was on around 3/8ths of a tanks. So there is definately something going on. Just recently i've noticed a "hissing" noise. Usually when I am down shifting or coming to a stop. Sounds like trying to if you put your tongue behind your teeth and try to blow air between the gap in your teeth.lol
(04-17-2020 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]No, it should not lope at idle... if it does then is simply is running like s$it ... something is amiss.

Oh Geez! Ok, where do I start or whats your address?lol I wanna tackle this before it REALLY cost me alot of money.
(04-17-2020 )TruckerRalph Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-17-2020 )JimT Wrote: [ -> ]check the flex pipe (exhaust bellows) that comes after the turbo. Not sure about your peete, but my pete (2012 587) has it situated only an inch or so away from the frame rail and they are known to go bad after a while. I didn't notice mine leaking until I was running a parked regen and saw the slightest wisp of exhaust gas escape.

Howdy Mr. Jim. Thank you for the reply. My truck is an X-werner truck. 619K on the odometer and it has an Eaton Fuller 9 speed in it. It will not under any circumstances while reving up to 1500rpms to change gears go above 1500. Like ever. I dont know if it has a rev limiter on it or not. It seems to me like somethings clogged up on it or something. Because it is so slow to start off and get going up to speed, that its ridiculous. Then i started hearing that "exhaust leak' sound. You only hear it from the passenger side. My last trip was from Minneapolis to Penn. then Penn. to Georgia (my home state), around 1500 miles total. I filled both 120gal tanks just as slap full as possible and when I made it to Penn. (about 870 miles) I was on a 1/4 tank. I figured filling both tanks up like that would have gotten me home. Nope. THEN, after i filled them again in PENN. When i got home about 750 miles. I was on around 3/8ths of a tanks. So there is definately something going on. Just recently i've noticed a "hissing" noise. Usually when I am down shifting or coming to a stop. Sounds like trying to if you put your tongue behind your teeth and try to blow air between the gap in your teeth.lol

so instead of shutting it down and repairing it, your still driving it, abusing the hell out of an engine that obviously is not running right at all, ... so your going to just keep pushing down the roads til it blows its guts out? -- What a business plan!

-- Am lot of people also are guilty of not getting on top of its problems after the [urchase before putting it on the roads either. ... It is highly likely that you never went thru the truck when u purchased it. ... like some kind of pipe dream most people seem to have when buying a used truck ... Most seem to think they are ready for freight, like the used truck stealer gave 2 s#its about it... WELL, they DON'T!. -- This especially from a truck coming from an abusive as hell mega-fleet... and then its suddenly expected it to be ready to haul freight out of the gate? -- Then wonder why they have problem after problems.

You need to also get that engine killing governor removed out of that thing.. Actually, you should have never purchased the truck knowing it has never likely seen more than 1500 rpm's its whole life... that is one of the biggest engine killers of them all to govern it into only the bottom 1/3 of its actual rpm working range then some dips$it company a-hole lugging it below 1500, beating up on the liners and cylinders its whole life, pushing it at an accelerated rate towards an agonizing death everywhere with his foot all the way in the floor the whole time its going down the roads.
(04-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]You need an Inline 6 reader and a copy of Insite software, eBay is where we normally get that stuff, no clue what is going on there with this lockdown.

Have you opened the top and inspected the cam, rollers, etc? Run the overhead? how many miles on the motor? Damper been replaced? Cam and Crank shaft timing sensors replaced? They do not last forever... Check the harness for chafing, bad wiring? Start the truck and smack the ECM with a rubber mallet and see what happens?

I would would also check the injectors (Rawze has a video), pressure test the coolant system and the fuel tanks. Does it have a Davco Filter? Anything odd there? Check the CAC for leaks? Tighten everything up? Check all of the clamps? Pull the piping off the turbo and inspect? Do you have a turbo boost gauge and pyrometer? Pull the DPF/DOC cans and inspect? Fuel Doser? The Doser does clog up and that leads to other issues... Should be replaced every 250,000 miles...

Bottom line, you need that Inline 6 reader and some tools. Until you get that, you are pissing in the wind... Unless you want to take it to a dealership... $$$

Others will chime in. Bottom line, you have issues.

Hey Waterloo. Thank you for your reply. No i havent checked the overhead. I dont have anywhere, other than a truck stop parking lot, to do that at. I live in a subdivision and code enforcement is a nightmare. Miles are 619k on the speedometer. HOWEVER, when i first bought it, i had a full pm and everything changed and lubricated and the guy hooked up a Snapon reader to the diagnostic port and it said it was an 07' ISX with only 264k. My ESN matches what Cummins has in their computer as the correct motor, when i went to buy the imap and deltaP. No idea about cam sensors or any other sensors being replaced. As many times as i have looked over the motor with a flashlight and a fine tooth comb, every thing is still painted factory red. Coolant has been pressure tested. No leakage.Havent checked injectors. However, the guy that hooked it up to that snapon thing said #5 seems a little iffy. He touched the screen and could make them go on and off.No idea what a Dayco Filter is. No Pyro or boost gauges. It has no DEF. Only that regen system that looks like an extra muffler. Havent pulled the tubes off and checked the doser yet. I know this. If i idle over night, then take off the next morning, it smokes a whole bunch of white smoke until i get up to speed, then it goes away.
(04-17-2020 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]...
-- You need to seriously stop driving it and get on top of its problems...

I havent been driving it for the past 3 weeks since the virus crap and our rates have dropped throught the floor. During that down time, I have changed the Imap and DeltaP but havent driven it. I cranked it to make sure it fired up. How do i removed the governed RPM? Its goverened speed is set at 75 currently. It doesnt leak any fluids or smoke at all unless I idle over night. I WANT to get it fixed and corrected. Thats why I joined your page and watch your videos. I came here for help.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's